HAYWARD or PENTAIR that is the question??? Let the debates begin!

ashmoussa

LifeTime Supporter
Hi TFP,
I know this might be a personal/sensitive topic for some. But I need help. As you can see from my sig, I will be building a pool in the next couple months, or maybe a bit later if it keeps snowing like it is up here in Jersey. I was planning on using all Hayward equipment per my builders suggestion, as follows:
Hayward DE 6020
Hayward Ecostar VS pump
SWG
Hayward OMNILOGIC automation
Hayward PH and ORP Sense and Dispense + Muriatic Acid feed system

BUT since joining this forum, which I LOVE and can't get enough of, I am on the fence. I see many reviews and wonderful things being said about both Hayward and Pentair products!! I'm going nuts!!

The 2 fold question: Which brand is better, more reliable, more efficient, etc...?? And what would be the equivalent models/products in your preferred brand for the filtration, pump, automation, SWG, etc...?

Let the games begin! Thanks!!!

There is no clear difference between Hayward and Pentair. In both cases the quality varies far far more between product lines within a single company than it does between the two companies. Builders have their preferred brands, and you shouldn't try to talk them into switching. Pick the best possible builder and go with the brand they are used to using.

I don't recommend getting the Sense and Dispense system. No ORP based automation system is a good match for an outdoor residential pool. The extra complexity, fundamental problems with the underlying technology, and additional things needing attention and maintenance far outweigh any advantages the system might have.

Get the largest filter you can. In NJ your pool will freeze in the winter, Why not a cartridge filter? You can drain it easy enough and store the cartridges in the garage, don't have to worry about it freezing and cracking. Go with unions on the pump, easier to remove and take in during the winter.

I have an 18,500 gallon pool. My PB installed a 525 ft2 Hayward cartridge filter and told me to clean it when pressure raises 3 PSI or annually, which ever comes first. He said most of his customers get away with the annual cleaning. I haven't had it a year yet, but early data seems promising. Go with the 525.

the Hayward Swimclear is a very nice cartridge filter. When it comes to cart filters, bigger is better. It means more time between having to clean them and increases the efficiency of the pump a little. For a 17K gallon pool like yours, I would suggest at a minimum the 325. Going up a level to the 425 would be excellent option that you should consider. The 525 would just be the bomb!

(i have a 420 on 14K gallon pool and only clean once a year, and that could easily be stretched a few months).

Great!! What size filter would u recommend? As for using unions, I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip!

Cleaning the carts is not what I would consider cumbersome. Just take the top off, pull off the cardrige 4 way stabilizer thing, and take the cartridges out. Hose them down with a water hose and nozzle.
It takes me about an hour to clean my 4 big ones. If i have a couple or more of cold ones handy, it might take me a hour and a half.:cheers:

It works pretty awesome. They filter particles to 5 microns.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've got a 17K pool and only a 100 sq ft filter. During the peak of the season I clean it a couple times a month, then monthly, during the winter, about 3 months pass. The pool is open year round, uncovered, and gets lots of leaves. It's what came with the pool when I bought the house. The one filter takes about 10-15 minutes to hose off.

I've got a 17K pool and only a 100 sq ft filter. During the peak of the season I clean it a couple times a month, then monthly, during the winter, about 3 months pass. The pool is open year round, uncovered, and gets lots of leaves. It's what came with the pool when I bought the house. The one filter takes about 10-15 minutes to hose off.

Good to know.
Thank you for the input!!

My last 2 choice builders used different brands (Hayward vs Pentair).

I went with the builder who I was most comfortable with and had been the most consistent/responsive...they happen to prefer Hayward.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either, though!

JasonLion knows his stuff!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.