Connecting two pools. Plumming

Ritz

Feb 14, 2015
Curacao
Hi
We already have a concrete in ground pool of 14 x 5 meters and 1.4m deep Not so big.
Now we build a concrete whirlpool next to it.
Round diameter 3.5 meters.

simce the main pool is not very large nor is the whirlpool, can I connect the whirlpool to the existi g pump and filtration system?

If so, here is my question.
The contractor build the whirlpool about 10 higher (waterlevel) then the main pool.
Will the water in the whirlpool be too low?
The contractor talks about a return valve that will prevent the water from flowing back.
I have doubts.
Anyone with experience?
Thanks
Hans

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, it is certainly possible to have the pool and whirlpool share plumbing. Setups like the one you describe are very common, including the difference in water surface heights.

Your contractor is correct, a check valve on the whirlpool return line will prevent the whirlpool from draining down. You will also want someway for the spa to overflow into the pool. This can either be a visible waterfall or be hidden in the plumbing.

Welcome to the forum!

It's called a check valve, and it allows water to flow in only direction. They are very common. My spa is 18" higher than my pool, and the only time it drains is when there is some debris caught in the check valve. It takes about 2 minutes to disassemble and clean and put back together.

Here is a typical setup for a pool/spa sharing equipment:

jandy_plumbing_diagram_pg2.jpg

Note: in the diagram posted above, the "Spa Make-up" line is optional and in practice most builders don't install it. When you remove the spa make-up line, you move the check valve over to the spa return line. Using a spa make-up line typically requires higher flow rates and is less energy efficient, though it can be a good idea if you don't have an automation system. With an automation system you would instead use spillover mode (return goes to the spa, suction comes from the pool) about one hour a day. Without automation a make-up line is simpler as you don't need to be changing the valves manually every day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.