Back down to 0 FC!

tam87

Bronze Supporter
Feb 2, 2015
New Port Richey, FL
Did my first SLAM about 2 weeks ago, http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/88078-Tired-of-bad-pool-advice-SLAM-question Super thanks to all who replied!!

But I am thinking maybe we missed something?, didn't keep chlorine high enough long enough?, not sure, but I am back down to 0 FC! It had passed the overnight FC test but maybe we read wrong.
Been running pump 6-7 hours at 50% Chlorine generation and back down to 0 FC!! Something is not right....

We did have our 5 month old salt cell tested about a month ago at pool store and they stated it was definitely generating chlorine--we are going to clean it today per Hayward instructions and I guess SLAM again paying more attention to details.

Water is CRYSTAL clear, the only place I still see visible algae is a tiny tiny bit in a valve by the pool equipment that has clear plastic around it. Not sure if this is clean-able-don't think so??

FC 0
PH 7.4
TA 80
CYA-90ish (I know a bit high but Im ok with maintaining higher FC levels if I can ever get my SWG to keep up :( )

Do you all think my plan sounds about right? Repeated SLAM is not harmful correct? I will keep SWG OFF during process.

I would suggest you raise the FC level back up toward SLAM level and do the OCLT. If you pass, then you must just need to increase the SWG output or the pump run time to maintain adequate FC ... sound like you were not testing your Fc often enough :whip: ;)

Slam finished--I measured readings every day--chlorine kept falling below my target of 6ish all other readings on target--so I added more bleach back up to FC 11ppm, then it kept falling again. And here I am back at 0
The only other thing I did was add some iron/metal remover 2 days ago as we had some very mild metal staining(I know because it came off with Vitmin C tablet!) Its gone now. I didn't even have the proper amount of the iron remover as the container was only 1/3 full but stains gone.

I really would think with pump running and SWG at 50% output for 6 hours a day I would have more than 0!
So based on my education from this forum from you all I either have
A. still something organic using up chlorine(most likely)
or
B. Failing SWG (less likely) (Salt is showing 3200 on panel, no visible deposits in SWG but have never given it a mild acid bath per Hayward instructions so will be doing that today)

Tam do the OCLT at SLAM level and report back your findings. Remember to run your pump the whole time and your SWG off.
If you pass the OCLT then we can move on from there. Check your light niche if you have one.

might a bit of algae behind the light fixture or somewhere that doesnt get circulation. The algae begind the light trick has fooled a lot of people.
OCLT <1ppm
CC at <0.5
Clear Water

if any of the 3 dont pass, then there is something still going on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.