Better alternative to StaRite system2 cartridge filter for small pool?

otherchuck

Aug 27, 2012
Greetings all!

You know how you are not supposed to post to forums when you are angry and possibly unreasonable? Too bad...I am furious and sick of my horrible StaRite2 system 2 cartridge filter (the ones that are about 13" in diameter and 18+" tall).

I have a 6000 gal fiberglass pool, that doesn't get used heavily, and is covered, and only extremely rarely gets sunscreen in it, and it seems to me that this should be an easy scenario for my filter to handle. But it does a profoundly crappy job. The cartridge gets clogged quickly, and it never seems to clean out that satisfactorily despite the fact that I diligently try to keep it clean. I was gonna buy a new cartridge, but I am right now more than willing to spend huge amounts of money doing whatever it takes to find an alternative filtration model (provided that model presents the probability of a SIGNIFICANT improvement as opposed to only the promise of SLIGHTLY BETTER).

If I am stuck with this StaRite cartridge paradigm, is there some kind of extremely toxic, eco-unfriendly, fabric-scorching chemical I should use as a cleaner rather than the cartridge detergent I get from Leslie's Pool Supplies (which appears rather tame and perhaps just a tiny bit superior to plain water). How often are those cartridges supposed to be replaced (at $150-$200 per cartridge, I hope they aren't supposed to be replaced every 90 days)? Are there any 'new improved' cartridge technologies (or brands) that I can use in my current StaRite system other than the diabolically crappy cartridge I am currently using? With a 6000 gal, fiberglass, pool is it reasonable to consider going to a total different paradigm, like a D.E. filter? When I researched this issue some time ago, it seemed like...for a pool of my size...moving off of a cartridge system was nearly universally regarded as more trouble than it was worth, but as my annoyance with the current paradigm grows, alternative models seem increasingly attractive.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Otherchuck

Hi otherchuck,
man I know what ya mean when things dont work the way you expect or want them to.

I sounds to me like your Cartridge Filter might be too small to suit you. When it comes to cartridge filters, the bigger the better. It will certainly mean less time between cleanings. i have a 420 sq ft cartridge on my 14K gallon pool and I clean my cartridges 1 time a year. Truth be told, I could easily stretch it another 6 months. I just hose mine down real well. Takes about a hour and I have 4 HUGE cartridges to clean.

If you arent getting all of the oils and gunk out of your carts when you clean them, that will just exasperate the situation.
A lot of folks here will recommend soaking the filters in a trashcan full of water with TSP added. 1 cup of TSP per 5 gallons of water. Automatic Dishwashing detergergent works well too.
here is link to a previous conversation about it.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/4224-Re-How-to-clean-a-cartridge-filter/page2

Of course the option to go with a completely different filter media can be considered. Sand and DE filter both work well. All of them have their plus and minus so its pretty much a persoanal choice which suits you better.
here is some info about the different types, and you can google "cleaning x pool filter on youtube and get tons of hits.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/144-maintenance-and-cleaning-of-pool-filters

The cartridge gets clogged quickly
It's getting clogged with debris. Another approach might be to find out where the debris is coming from.

What does your water look like? Can you post test results showing us FC, CC, CYA, pH and CH?

There is a very good chance your filter may not be the culprit but your water chemistry.

I assume you live in a climate where you keep your pool open year round, correct. Telling us your city and state is helpful when we offer advice.

I think what I have is a Sta-Rite PLM100 100 Sq Ft Modular Media Filter. Can I get a set of 4 x 105 sq/ft filters (420 sq/ft total) to fit in my current housing? You clean yours once a year (Divin Dave)! Yikes! We clean ours way more than that! I intend to have my wife research the alt filter paradigms...we divide up jobs in my house, and she has apparently drawn the short straw and does pool/spa management (I do garden, landscape, house cleaning stuff to compensate her for the hours she pours into managing the pool/spa business). By the way, out of desperation, we just 'power washed' the cartridge, and it did improve things for now, but...yes...it damaged the cartridge. I don't care since this partic cartridge is dead to us anyway, but in case anyone was wondering about the wisdom of power-washing a cartridge, you have been warned!

It's getting clogged with debris. Another approach might be to find out where the debris is coming from.

What does your water look like? Can you post test results showing us FC, CC, CYA, pH and CH?

There is a very good chance your filter may not be the culprit but your water chemistry.

I assume you live in a climate where you keep your pool open year round, correct. Telling us your city and state is helpful when we offer advice.

I can have my wife post the details re: our water chemistry as she is our pool chemist. But actually there is not really much visible debris in the pool; although we do live in area where I presume people leave their pool open all the time (Santa Barbara County, southern/central Cal, USA...we actually live in Santa Ynez), we have our pool covered year-round except when we are in it. If we didn't do that, we would wake up some mornings to find all manner of critters...from lil'uns like squirrels, wood rats, and bunnies, to bigguns like deer...drowning in our pool. So, no leaves or anything like that ever clog up the filter. That is one reason I particularly surprised by the appalling performance of our cartridge. But your point about pool chemistry is a good one, and I (i.e., my wife) will diligently follow up.

Otherchuck

no you wont be able to put 400 ft worth of filters in the thing. Wouldnt work out well.
You would need to get a whole new filter.

And yeah, I only clean mine once a year and to be honest, I could probably stretch that a few more months pretty easily.

We generally recommend cleaning the filter when pressure rises 20% above the 'clean' pressure. Mine has never gotten more than 8 or 9 above clean pressure in a whole year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.