Repair Polaris booster pump connection

Jun 30, 2007
North Florida
We've got a bad connection where our Polaris booster pump flexible hose meets the PVC return line. When I turn on the Polaris, we first got drips but are now getting a fine misty spray.

The hose has been disconnected and we've tried to reconnect it according to the initial installation instructions. Pulling and twisting the sleeve of the quick connect over the hose has been a bit of a problem, as there's another PVC line that runs above this connection, making it difficut for one to pull up very far. Still, I thought we had a good connection, but it only lasted an hour or so and then was leaking again.

Any tricks of the trade we could use to get this reconnected and our cleaner operational again??? Do we need a new sleeve? New hose? Thanks.

BTW, our set-up is 2 years old (3rd summer), out in the elements, and gets a lot of use year-round, as we don't close the pool.

Are you talking about pushing a 3/4 or 1 inch hose onto a barb fitting?

If that's what your trying to do, I would coat the barb fitting with alittle teflon pipe dope; then push the hose on. Then tighten the band clamps.

On second thought, maybe that's not what your talking about.

Atleast this post will bump the thread up.

Hotrod30...yes, I'm trying to push a hose onto a barb fitting (I think that's what it's called?). But instead of a wire clamp, there's a plastic, circular sleeve that you pull up and over the hose that holds everything securely - at least that's the theory.

At first, we thought the sleeve might be damaged, but it looks OK and the plastic pieces inside the sleeve look to be all there and intact.

The Teflon dope might help...I'm also wondering if the hose maybe needs to be cut so that there's "new" hose getting put onto the barb and getting clamped down by the sleeve. Perhaps the part of the hose that has been clamped for all this time is no longer allowing a watertight seal? Just some thoughts I've had...

Thanks for the reply and bump. :)

It might be worth it to cut some of the old hose off; maybe 1/2 inch more than it was on the barb. It would be worth it to have a couple of band clamps for the size hose you are working with near by. You can buy band clamps at Lowes or HD.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.