Air in filter

dumbcluck

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2013
long beach, CA
How much air should be in the filter?
When I open the pressure valve (with pump off) it always has air to release. Is this normal or should it be minimal? I assume it has some air creating pressure but how much is normal?

If the pump is off, then there is no pressure in the filter or anywhere else in the system. The air you are hearing is being sucked in due to the water then being allowed to drain out of the filter.

To check for air in the filter, the pump should be running and you should open the air release valve to see if any air comes out or if only water shoots out.

What he said - need the pump running. Otherwise you're just hearing the air going into the filter as the weight of the water pulls it back into the pool.

Ok.
Sometimes there is some air when the pump is running too. Could this be air I allowed into the system by opening the filter gauge when pump is not running?
First time pool owner trying to maintain myself. Just concerned.
There are a few bubbles in pump strainer. Had a pentair service guy out once for something else and he thought there may be a hairline crack in pump basket lid. He said he ordered a new one but hasn't been back yet. It was a couple weeks ago.
I also sometimes see some small bubbles out of return. I have a salt water chlorinator and acid dispenser if that helps.
Thanks

A SWG can also have air bubbles show up in the pool ... mine certainly does.
Just open the filter air valve after the pump has been on for awhile and see if any air comes out ... while the pump is running.

Sometimes, air bubbles returning to the pool can be caused by debris clogging the pump impeller.
With the pump OFF remove the lid and basket and feel for debris in the impeller with your fingers.
You can also open the air valve on the filter and see if the the back flow of water dislodges anything from the impeller.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I only see bubbles in the return when the SWG is making chlorine and the pump is on low speed. When the pump is on high speed I will not get bubbles from the SWG.

Right now I believe your SWG % is 25%, from another thread, so it is only making chlorine 25% of the time that the pump is running.

It sounds like your system is in good shape.

That is not how SWG work. The % setting is the amount of time in some given period (usually 1-2 hours I think) that the SWG is generating. You can override it by setting the % to 100% and it will always be generating or set it to 0% and it will never be generating. Or I would there is some indicator on it to let you know when it is actually generating.

But, since you have never filled out your signature, I have no idea what equipment you have.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Is it odd that my filter reads differently from day to day?
Some days it's at 3 others 6 or 5. Not necessarily heading in one direction but varying from day to day. Always within 3 psi from each other. Shouldn't it be a constant?
Is this indicative of a problem or does it seem ok?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.