Cheap versus expensive pool?

G

Anyone have an opinion on whether you should by a cheap pool or expensive pool?

I see the options as cheap ($2,000) is quick and dirty and you plan to replace the liner or pool in about 3-5 years. You run the risk of collapse and failure. You basically can get 3 of these for the cost of the others. If you hate it you pull it down and trash it.

With the extruded aluminum you pay more ($6,000), but get a "life" pool for the extra expense. This ends up lasting substantially longer with maybe liner replacement costs but no collapses and reliability. If you hate the pool you are stuck with it.

Of course inground is the most permanent and long lived, but I cannot justify $40K in Washington State for a few month of the year usage.

I am planning on using quality pumps and filters though, regardless of the pool type.

hi mtbarr64,
We just purchased an above ground pool. I too was torn because I love an inground pool but could not justify the expense of it, mostly because we live in New England and the summers are only a few months long. I did research and chose to go with a good, solid pool. I wanted something to withstand the 2 feet of snow that may be on it in January. I also wanted it to last a good amount of time so we would not need to replace it if possible. There are a lot of additional costs when replacing a pool like water and chemicals to balance it, just something to keep in mind :eek:
We went with a Sharkline pool, it is a solid American made pool and I know that I can find pieces in the future if they are needed. I also really liked Ester williams, they were a little more expensive and also have a good reputation. For me it came down to the local pool stores and best reputation since we were having them do the install. I also liked the 54" depth of the sharkline as opposed to the 52" of the Ester Williams that I was considering.
Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Holly

mtbarr64 said:
Thanks!

I see you have almost the identical pool configuration I am looking at down to the DE filter!

It has been up and running now for almost 4 weeks. So far so good! I am very happy, the pool is very sturdy and the filter is easy to use. All I need now is the deck to be built but that will have to wait until next spring. I have had my kids friends over-12 kids in the pool all at the same time and everything was great, plenty of room and no wall movement at all! I remember as a kid having an above ground pool and kicking off the side to swim and feeling like the walls were going to collapse!
FYI I paid $4400 for the whole package, pool,filter,pump,auto vacuum,winter cover,ladder,start up chems and a few extras. Of course price will vary by location but it is just some info to help you.
Plus don't forget the extra cost of permit fees($130 in my town) and electrician ($450) I still have not gotten my water bill, that will be interesting :(
Keep me posted in you search, it is so exciting!

DBfan187 said:
WOW $6K? We sell Ester Williams pools starting @ $2600(18') going up to $7800(18' x 33').

Are we talking about the Millenium model with 4" extruded aluminum side panels? Inground/Semi-inground capable?

I have tried contacting the Washington State dealer of Esther Williams and have gotten no email response.

Do board rules allow you to PM me with contact information?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.