South Mississippi pool build - DONE!!

T5killer

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
South Mississippi / NOLA
After many months of research, my wife and I have finally signed a contract for a pool install. We decided on a 18'x38' rectangular pool from 3' to 6' in depth. The shallow end will have radius steps in one corner and a bench from the steps to the to the other end of the shallow section. Options include Pebble Sheen, VS pump, cartridge filter, and SWG. To help keep costs down, the coping is bull nosed brick, and the light in incandescent. We are still undecided on decking, but I'm leaning towards pavers. Construction starts in late March, and I will be posting pictures as that build progresses.

Last edited:
Re: Finally signed a contract - South Mississippi

No reason to wait with the pictures. How about a few before shots of the yard? Your pool sounds like a southern cousin to ours design wise.

Congratulations on diving in!

Congrats on the new build! With the bullnose coping, you'll like the pavers for the deck. It'll be a smooth visual transition from the pool to the deck. Ask the builder if he will be using polymeric sand or plain sand in the paver joints.

Earlier this week, the PB staked out the pool, did an elevation survey, and did some grading in the backyard. I figured I'd post a few photos too.
Before shot.before.jpg

Had to move the kid's play house to mark out the pool.2.jpg

It looks a lot bigger on the ground than it did on paper.3.jpg

Just one thought for you on the benches. Our steps and bench across the shallow end are identical to yours as are the shape and overall dimensions. You might consider having the shallow end bench continue around the corner for 6' or so. Ours does and we like it because it provides in pool seating that faces back towards the out of pool seating areas and it also faces the steps making for easy face to face talking while seated. Your bench will be great either way but just a thought. My signature has a link to pictures of your future pool.

Digging started on Monday and finished on Tuesday. Rebar, lights, and plumbing rough-in were completed on Wednesday. No progress was made on Thursday, but the shot-crete was applied on Friday. Plumbing begins on Monday.

shotcrete pump.jpg

shotcrete installed.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Due to a work emergency, I had to work the night before the Pebble Tec was scheduled to be installed. I arrived home at 07:30, and the installation crew had already started the application process.

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

When I woke up about 8 hours later, they were pretty much done! I would show you a picture of the completed Pebble Tec, but I'm having technical difficulties with my MacBook.

We started filling the pool the next day. Two hoses from my house and two hoses from my neighbor's house. The fill took about 24 hours to complete.

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.