HELP NEEDED! - Pool Renovation in New Mexico

Re: New Pool in New Mexico

Getting hit with the white stuff too... Can't wait til it's summer time! Keep the pics coming!

Here are the latest pictures. The guys were here today plastering the pool. For those interested, the color is Quartzscapes Midnight Blue. I think this is not the final color as it has yet to be acid washed/brushed and it was just minutes after application that I took the pictures. I'm hoping to see some darkening over time. In any event, I wanted to ask a couple of questions of the group.

1. The high temp today was mid 60s, so not too cold, not too warm. After the plaster was applied, a guy with a propane torch (similar to what you'd use to burn weeds) went around the pool running the fire over the plaster. Is that going to be harmful to the plaster down the road? Seems like they were trying to cure it faster than the weather conditions would have it. I hope this will not weaken the plaster down the road.

2. For some reason in other pool build threads I've read it seemed like the pool got acid washed, brushed and filled almost immediately after the plaster went up. The guys have left for the day w/o any sort of post-plaster treatment and it's sitting empty now. Is this OK?

3. There is a bit of wind blowing out, so some leaves are falling onto the plaster. I am just leaving them where they are b/c I have no way of getting in to the pool to retrieve them. Will this cause any deformation of the paster - i.e., leaf "fossils?"

4. As you can see from the pictures if you look closely, there are streaks of color running down the sides of the walls, Some of the streaks are a whitish color, others are the darker blue. Will the acid wash take care of this? I certainly don't want to have these streaks left on the walls.

My PB has been excellent so far, so I'm hoping I'm not panicking over nothing. However, some of these things were odd and/or things I'd not seen or read about in other threads.

Appreciate any input you may have and without further ado, here are the pictures:

IMG_0493.jpgIMG_0492.jpgIMG_0494.jpgIMG_0495.jpgIMG_0496.jpg

Don't know about quartzscapes. Our black pebblesheen was pretty streaky at first. They didn't acid wash and fill until the next day, which is pretty common, I've seen that a lot here. Even after acid wash and fill there were some streaks here and there that they cleaned up later. I would trust your peeps, especially given that you are happy with their work. And nothing cuts pool building anxiety like water in your pool. Looks really good so far and it is going to be great with water in the pool on a hot sunny day.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and no worries with the leaves, it hardens pretty fast. My pool has had leaves in it nearly every second of its existence!

Leaves won't hurt, but the torch thing is a little strange. Some acid wash, some don't. It may lessen streaks if they do, some will likely remain. Darker colors are much more prone to streaking more than lighter ones. That is a beautiful setting and you will have some very blue pool water! Are they filling today?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

So the pool has been filling the past couple of days. Over the weekend, I noticed some very fine hairline cracks in the plaster that I wanted to get everyone's opinion on to see if this is normal or something I should be concerned with. IMG_0517.jpgIMG_0518.jpgIMG_0520.jpgIMG_0521.jpg

Should a brand new plaster job already be developing these kinds of cracks??

Thanks for any advice!!

I'm definitely not happy with them, I'm just wondering if they are 1) harmful/prone to leakage 2) outside the acceptable limits for Quartzscapes plaster. My PB said they are nothing to worry about, that Quartzscapes plaster is more prone to hairline cracks and that they will close over time or fill in with calcium and be undetectable. Unless I hear an overwhelming "NO!!!!" from this forum, I'm going to accept him at his word. The plaster is warranted for 5 years, and he has been a very trustworthy guy for many years, so I don't have too many worries about seeing what happens, unless there are bigger concerns that any of you may be aware of.

No, not normal. Looks like they waited too long to fill. Maybe give them a little time after fill to see what happens, but I would make that a finite amount of time.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'd previously mentioned I saw them using propane torches to cure the plaster b/c it was a somewhat cold day when they applied the plaster. I'd imagine that amount of heat caused the plaster to cure too fast and/or dried it out too much. I have a meeting with the PB today, will let you know what comes of it.

Re: Pool Renovation in New Mexico

This renovation has gone from bad to worse. Shortly after the plaster was complete, the pool developed a fairly significant leak - around 1" per day. Because of the leak, the pool was not continuously circulated for the all important first 30 days. Additionally, the water was not treated for metals right away so when the PB added chlorine about 2 weeks after the plaster, the pool turned bright green. Stayed this way for about a week before PB resolved the issue. (The PB has been responsible for maintaining the chem levels since the plaster was done until now). Another issue occurred where several areas developed a very rough patch and metals have really stuck to this area. The plaster is not smooth on these areas - when you run a brush over them, it will almost stick there because of the abrasiveness. I suspect these patches were caused by the PB sending in a person late one Friday evening to pour bags of salt into the pool, but he didn't stay to dissolve/stir the salt. He dumped and left. This was during a time when the water was not circulating and this person did not turn the pump on. Maybe some of you could comment on whether the salt could have caused this or whether it was just a defect in the plaster to begin with.

Nevertheless, we are now stuck with a pool that looks like this:

IMG_0730.jpegIMG_0728.jpgIMG_0732.jpgIMG_0734.jpegIMG_0735.jpg

What are my options at this point? This remodel has been going on for 5 months, and I'm running out of patience. Do these issues merit a complete re-plaster? Is there such a thing as re-plastering in just certain areas? Any advice/suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I don't know how serious these issues are and what I need to insist on in terms of remediation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.