Help me with Houston pool build!

ricky12

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 11, 2015
Cypress, TX
Hey guys. New to the forum and trying to get educated. I have read a lot of info thus far but wanted some input and suggestions as I go through the pool build process. Currently I am working with 4 local builders and have one design in preliminary stages. I think we have settled on saltwater pool. Here is a design my wife drew and a builder rendering which is very preliminary. One thing we are debating right now is a rock water feature or elevated stacked stone water feature. Any advice and tips are appreciated.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423754096.877226.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423754111.193270.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423754140.864720.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Just a word of caution, with a SWG pool you need to be careful about using any soft stones (like the flagstone commonly used in TX) around the pool as the salt water can ruin it. Some people say it is fine and do not have problems, others say you need to seal it pretty often, others say that it falls apart regardless. Generally it is safest to get either SWG or flagstone, but not both.

You can still have rock features, just avoid soft stones.

Ricky,

I believe that whichever you choose, it needs to look natural, that is was built that way on purpose. I personally like your current design and believe it is much easer make a water feature wall look natural than a pile of rocks. That said I have seen some pretty impressive and natural looking stone water features on this site. I have also seen several where it appears that a bunch of rocks were just stacked in a pile at the end of a pool. It does not look like nature put them there and in my mind they look very out of place. Other than the visual appearance, I'm not aware of any operational differences. I'm sure others will chime in if there are.

Jim R.

Couple ideas/suggestions. Put your skimmer on the downwind side of the pool, lots of curves makes brushing more challenging. Maybe an umbrella holder or two around the pool. Also a submerged bench is nice. Good luck with your pool

Last edited by a moderator:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Just a word of caution, with a SWG pool you need to be careful about using any soft stones (like the flagstone commonly used in TX) around the pool as the salt water can ruin it. Some people say it is fine and do not have problems, others say you need to seal it pretty often, others say that it falls apart regardless. Generally it is safest to get either SWG or flagstone, but not both.

You can still have rock features, just avoid soft stones.

The plan is to maintain proper sealing to try and extend the life of the flagstone. Does the same apply to the stacked stone on the wall we have in that design on the back wall and the spa? What type of stone should I request if we didnt go flagstone?

- - - Updated - - -

Ricky,

I believe that whichever you choose, it needs to look natural, that is was built that way on purpose. I personally like your current design and believe it is much easer make a water feature wall look natural than a pile of rocks. That said I have seen some pretty impressive and natural looking stone water features on this site. I have also seen several where it appears that a bunch of rocks were just stacked in a pile at the end of a pool. It does not look like nature put them there and in my mind they look very out of place. Other than the visual appearance, I'm not aware of any operational differences. I'm sure others will chime in if there are.

Jim R.

We were pretty set on using more rocks instead of the elevated stacked stone look, but I think the amount of rocks to make it look natural are going to push past our current budget. The elevated wall is alot more economical, and we kind of like the look.

- - - Updated - - -

Couple ideas/suggestions. Put your skimmer on the downwind side of the pool, lots of curves makes brushing more challenging. Maybe an umbrella holder or two around the pool. Also a submerged bench is nice. Good luck with your pool

The pool is south of the house, so the shape is really east/west. I am thinking two skimmers, not sure on location yet. It is hard to tell but there is a small bench on the left side in the little cutout. The sun on the water is making it not show up well.

Ok everyone, I had a PB highly discourage me from doing a salt water pool with rocks and or flagstone. He was trying to convince me on the ozone/uv route. I have seen mixed information about the saltwater with the soft stones. Am I okay if I seal them properly and often? I dont want my pool falling apart after 4-5 years.

Like I said above ... some people claim to have no problems with or without sealing and others have the stone fall apart in a few years. It is an added risk to you and do you REALLY want to be sealing everything every 1-2 years?

Look at concrete or pavers instead.

Avoid the UV / Ozone ... honestly, a PB trying to talk me into those would immediately tell me they know very little about pool maintenance or are trying to line their pocket.

Ricky12, absolutely gorgeous pool design! I love the look of the elevated stacked stone wall. If we could have set the pool crosswise on our lot, I would have hacked much of your design.

I can't tell what materials you are using for your deck. We're using concrete pavers for decking. The way our house is situated, we had a lot of trouble with mildew on our flagstone patio. Frequent power washing didn't keep it at bay - well, not after 15 years. Maybe my expectations were a bit too high! A neighborhood friend has pavers, and absolutely no mildew issues over the years. I guess because any water drains rather than standing. Our patio sloped well enough, but all those details of little cracks and crevices I so love in flagstone held water. I made the mistake of not sealing it. But I also love the look of pavers and appreciate the ease of repairs or changes if any are needed under the pavers. Anyway, just food for thought on decking.

We're also doing a SWG system. I swam in one all last summer, and for me with mild asthma, I decided it would be worth the effort of sealing stuff. I think I see 4 scuppers on your plan. They are lovely, and seem to be placed well in the case of a salt pool. One idea I first had was scuppers close to each end of our raised beam. But with the sharp curve of our beam, I was concerned about more splash-out at the ends of the beam onto the coping and decking. I changed to one scupper in the center of the raised wall - ours is much shorter than yours.

We are going with travertine coping but will still need to seal. From what everyone says, your sealed flagstone will be fine. If you can, do the scratch test on your lot of flagstone and cull out the softer pieces if there are any. That may not make a real difference, but for me it would at least give me some peace of mind - I can convince myself it's not a false one. LOL!!!

When you get time to post, I can't wait to follow your pool build! And as others say on the forums, we can't wait for your pool party!!! There's a lot of Texans and Cypress people, so get ready! Just kidding, sort of. Take care, Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Ricky12! It's been another wet week our way in Cypress and much of Texas, huh?! But it beats a drought, at least for most people. We had the Big Dig, the Cage built, and the Gunite this week. If you have time, check out the photos on my pool build.

I'm ready for some updates on your pool - and lots of pictures!! I'm sure you're busy, but when you get a chance, catch us up. You should be getting close to Swim Day! Take care! Suz

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.