Overnight loss

Aug 11, 2008
Central CA, USA
Hello,

I have an FC overnight loss of 1.5. The night before last was 1.5 loss as well.

I was expecting this morning's test to show 0 to 1 loss, but no. So to me, it looks like there's still a little bit of algae, that somehow didn't die. I have kept my chlorine at shock level, (except for sunlight loss because my pool gets full sun) and I have been scrubbing! Is there something I'm missing? (Maybe just POP!)

Thanks!
poolcarma

Yeah, you need to keep the FC up until that loss is 1.0 or less. That you've only lost 1.5ppm twice in a row makes me think your shock level is not high enough.

How high are you bringing the FC each evening and how much CYA is in the pool?

It may be just POP but it'd help to see those numbers.

Thanks for responding!

Here are the numbers as of this morning:

FC 23.0 ( last night FC was 24.5 and CC .5)
CC .5
TC 24.0
pH 7.5
TA 130
CH 410
CYA 60

I plan on adressing the TA and CH after I get this algae under control. I've been using a combination of 10% chlorine and dichlor to keep my numbers up. I figured with a CYA of 60 the dichlor couldn't hurt. I've been keeping my FC as close to 24 as I can. Should I elevate my FC, treating my black algae as particularly stubborn?

poolcarma

First, those are very good numbers and you have the FC high enough to deal with your algae issues. The rest of your numbers are decent as well, so there's no rush on TA and CH. Nice work.

Should I elevate my FC, treating my black algae as particularly stubborn?
Perhaps. I can't remember your other posts, but if you're pretty confident it was black algae, somewhat elevated FC levels is usually the cure. On the other hand, black algae is frequently misdiagnosed and that elevated FC level may not be neccessary.

I would be tempted to return to normal FC levels for a while and carefully monitor for any sign that the algae returns. If it does, cure it quickly and resign yourself to higher FC levels.

Hotrod30 said:
If you are treating black algae, are you brushing the walls and bottom?

Oh Yeah! I've been scrubbing sides, bottom,,steps, landing and anything else that darn pole hits! I'm actually wondering how long my arms will last! Oh and I'm using a steel brush.

duraleigh said:
First, those are very good numbers and you have the FC high enough to deal with your algae issues. The rest of your numbers are decent as well, so there's no rush on TA and CH. Nice work.

I can't remember your other posts, but if you're pretty confident it was black algae, somewhat elevated FC levels is usually the cure. On the other hand, black algae is frequently misdiagnosed and that elevated FC level may not be neccessary.

I would be tempted to return to normal FC levels for a while and carefully monitor for any sign that the algae returns. If it does, cure it quickly and resign yourself to higher FC levels.

Thanks!

I'm fairly confident it's black algae, but I was treating it as green some time ago with NO success. My algae clings to the sides and bottom. It is hard to scrub, turns brown with the elevated chlorine and makes little puffs in the water when scrubbed. It's stubborn as He-double hockey sticks, and has returned once already.

I'm in the process of elevating my chlorine to Mustard levels. I just added chlorine so I'll check the numbers in a bit. I am hoping the pool store sells the R0871 because I'm almost out and I don't want to be blind to my numbers while waiting for the mail! I'm actually hoping for a cloudy day so the sun won't eat any of my chlorine! (Not gonna happen!)

Thank you, for all your kind help!
poolcarma

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.