Plaster vs. Fiberglass for existing concrete pool

Currently there is fiberglass coating on it, with a decayed gelcoat (looks like ****). A couple bubbles here in and there in the fiberglass itself but overall very good structural condition. I have had one plaster company come out, and one fiberglass company come out. Fiberglass was a little more but offered a 15 year warranty vs. 3 for the plaster. Fiberglass company has been doing it for something like 25 years.

The pool was supposedly last done in the 80's and the fiberglass guy mentioned that was very early for a fiberglass coating so maybe there were some cracks or other issues with the pool that made them switch to fiberglass instead of plaster (this has me a little concerned about going back to plaster).

I tried some searching but the stuff I found was either really old or for new pool construction. What do you guys think? Plastering seems to be way more popular, maybe just because fiberglass is a little more expensive?

Fiberglass on top of plaster/concrete is uncommon and is difficult to get right. You definitely want an experienced company if you go that direction. Plaster is far more common and there are plenty of contractors who can do that right no problem. If nothing goes wrong with the install, fiberglass will last longer. Fiberglass is much more prone to metal stains, but then plaster requires a little extra attention to keeping the chemistry balanced.

Yeah the company has been doing fiberglass for 25 years and they warranty for 15 so I am pretty confident with their experience. They will do plaster if someone specifically requests it but otherwise all they do is fiberglass.

I have copper piping so I guess I will have to keep the chemistry in check to avoid the metal stains.

Yes you will no matter what finish is chosen. If you go plaster, it sounds like you should consider another contractor who specializes in it versus FG. Personally, I would choose a good Quartz or Pebble type plaster finish over FG. A Good one will last twenty years pretty easily if taken care of.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.