Pentair Rebel

Anybody considering this new model?

http://youtu.be/Mys-r1dmouM

I have a 2 years old Pentair Great Shark and just spent $100.00 fixing it. Still working great but I thought the new one might be an improvement.

It looks similar to the poolvergnuegen pool cleaners which are pretty durable and highly regarded. I have seen a lot about the rebel but never actually heard from a homeowner having used it in their pool. I am interested in this topic as well.

Re: Pentair Rebel -

I too am interested. my local pool shop tried to tell me this the latest incarnation of the previously highly rated TPC but they are from two dfferent manufacturers. Has anyone done or seen a head to head comparison or has poolvergnuegen changed its name or been bought by Pentair.

David Van Brunt, the guy that posts all the great pool cleaner reviews on youtube has a website (not sure if allowed to post link to outside website) where he compares the top 5 suction side cleaners and he gives top nod to the Hayward aquanaut (their updated version of the poolcleaner). He says......

The AquaNaut is based on the PoolCleaner by Poolvergnuegen which is now part of Hayward. The new body style and the dark colored hoses gives it a fresh new look but with the same sound engineering of the PoolCleaner. The Super Hump Tires and V-Flex turbine gives it the edge over the Pentair Rebel & Warrior.

I really like the look of the rebel but wonder if its two wheel design will not give it enough power to move out of my 9 foot deep end. Both units caution about return jets pushing them out of certain areas. They suggest turning down the eyeballs which I don't want to do.

Interesting. I just ordered the Pool Cleaner and after seeing this had some regret I did not get the newer one. Then I checked the prices ... Find it hard to believe that the AquaNaut warrants a 30% higher price tag over TPC.

Just bought one from NPS, tossed it in the pool, pretty impressed. Price was great, if you buy it before the end of May there is a $100 mail-in rebate. It comes with ten meter-long pieces of hose, as well as a bag full of adapters, eyeball diverters (to ensure your return doesn't push the hose away and prevent the vacuum from cleaning near the eye). Took 45 minutes to read all of the warnings in the instruction book, and about a minute to read the important stuff, plug it together and shove it into the pool.

Yes, it climbs walls, but couldn't make it up a two-foot wall and onto my shallow water shelf, nor up the steps (nothing one minute and a brush couldn't cure). It hasn't gotten stuck just yet, just rolls around, comes up to the tile line, then rotates and comes back down in a different direction.

We had a wind storm yesterday, so lots of dirt in the pool today. I cleaned up a bit this morning, what I didn't get floated back down to the bottom, forming a thin layer of dirt by dinner time. In went the Rebel, it left very clean path tracks through the pool, eventually hitting everywhere. There were some spots where it ran over dirt and didn't completely get everything, but it got it all on the next pass. (Yes, I was fascinated, sat and watched for a while.) To speed things up, wouldn't hurt to get a brush and help it out a little, but guessing if your filter is running 6-8 hours a day you won't need to worry about it.

Overall, it wasn't very expensive, and looks like it will save me a good deal of time vacuuming. I can see why people give their vacuums cutesy names, in no time my family was out by the pool cheering it on as it randomly tracked towards dirt.

Please forgive the stream of consciousness, if you have any questions or want pics, please let me know.

Ed

I just picked up a Pentair Warrior from Pool Supply Unlimited. From my understanding it is the same cleaner, only white/grey with a light grey hose. The Rebel is supposed to be a "In Store" only model and the Warrior is the "On line" version. Paid $349.94 - $50 rebate for $299.94 + tax.

It looks to be almost the same as the Hayward/poolvergnuegen only there is no changeable intake/flow piece on the bottom, and the skirting appears slighty different. I dropped in the pool yesterday afternoon and put it to work. So far so good.

It comes with a flow meter to set up the proper amount. With the recommended flow, it will climb walls, but not well. It usually falls off halfway up the wall. i'm sure if I turn the flow up more, it will probably climb better. Otherwise it handles the pool quite well. Makes it over the drains easily and does not get hung up on any of the steps or corners. It moves at a pretty good pace, cleaning the pool in about 1-1.5 hours. I have quite a few queen palms around my property and tend to get small pieces of palm in the water. (Usually 2-6+ inches) The cleaner has a hard time getting these pieces picked up. (Again probably just need to adjust the flow.)

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it so far, just need to fine tune the flow rate at this point.

I did it a little differently, didn't want to lose skimmer availability while vacuuming - I plugged the hose into the main suction connector in the pool vice the skimmer, then used the selector valve at the filter to adjust the suction to the vacuum. At first I set the suction a little too high, thing climbed almost out of the pool. It will climb the walls to the tile line now and fall back down, or spin a couple of rotations and head back down in a different direction. Occasionally it will lose suction at the top of the wall and fall back to the bottom slowly.

I read in a post "OMG, what was I waiting for??" before I bought a vacuum, my sentiments exactly. I once spent more time trying to explain to my sister how to vacuum when I was away than it actually took me to manually vacuum out the pool. When she sent me a photo of the hook up she rigged, I was either a) amazed with her ingenuity, or b) baffled that we both dropped from the same womb. She plugged the vacuum hose into the skimmer on one end, then the other end was connected to the end of the pool pole, with a brush attached. Yup, it worked, it sucked from the open end of the pole once the brush swept up a cloud.

My PB included a Pentair Rebel side auction cleaner. Seems to get hung up on both main drains. Read there are "large hump" tires to remedy this, but couldn't find a place online that sells? Also wasn't sure whether Pentair would send these under warranty.

The Rebel only climbs a wall about 6-12 inches before changing direction. Hope it doesn't leave tire marks on new light quartz plaster...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is working fine. I've had it for 9 months so no comments on lifespan. It climbs walls if the flow is high enough but will suck air when it gets to the surface. When it was brand new, it didn't climb well, but my guess is that the tyres needed to get scuffed. It also won't climb well with the float at the distance designated in the manual, but with the float a bit further away from the cleaner, up it went. I have no reason to vacuum the walls, so I run it for wheel revolution at around 9 RPM instead of 11-13 to keep it on the bottom and just up to the top of the radius. It's never been plugged by anything. Covers the bottom evenly but not stairs or ledge, and we have no main drains so no comment on that aspect. No marks on our pool finish. Takes 2-3 hours for a nice job. Same as Pentair Warrior.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Opted to remove the PB provided Rebel suction cleaner and use a robot. They also ran IntelliFlo at 2450 RPM mainly for Rebel. I've closed Rebel vacuum valve and dropped RPM to an arbitrary 1700 rpm to reduce from 825W to 325W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.