Bad pump replacement?

Hello all, hoping somebody can give me a little advice. We purchased a home with a 2004 Hotsprings Sovereign hot tub installed under the deck. I filled the tub today, connected the power, and then tried to start the jets. The motor hummed for about 5 seconds, then the breaker trips. Tried this a couple times, to no avail. The pump was not frozen due to the cold, the room it sits in was warm all day and I even pointed a space heater at the pump cabinet for over 2 hours. I got some advice from a local dealer who said to try and manually turn the shaft while humming, and that did turn the shaft, but it would not go. So, I believe I need a new pump. My question is: does anyone know exactly how to remove the old pump? The only way I can see is to remove the control panel somehow, and then the metal bracket. Is there an easier way? Any help would be appreciated. Trying to figure out the most cost effective way to get this thing going. I would love to be able to remove the pump myself, and then have the motor rebuilt for about $130 vs. calling in a tech who will have to replace the motor with a new one for several times that amount. If you look at the picture, it is definitely packed in there.

Attachments

• IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 31
I am pretty DIY handy, but like most projects, it is a balance between time for me to do it vs. time for someone else to do it plus extra cost. My guess is that to repair both of your "motor starting problems", I would still need to pull that motor? And at that point, if I have taken out that motor (11 years old), it might just be time to put in a rebuilt or new motor? Thanks for the response!

You do need good access to the motor to check/repair it, and it does look tight in there. Having gone to the trouble of removing it, replacing the motor is a reasonable choice if you want to go that route.

It looks like there are unions on both the intake and output of the pump, those two and the electrical connection need to be removed before the pump can come out. I can't get a clear idea of the clearances, you may well need to at least partially remove the control panel to get the pump out, though there is some chance that if you can get it disconnected that it can be snaked through the gaps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.