Jandy Aquapure 1400 (2port), High cell votage = bad cell?

cdclw

Feb 8, 2015
san diego
Ran all tests in Jandy T/S manual, Have error code 120/121 (low cell current)

Cell voltage at 70 VDC, should be 22-28... does this indicate bad cell: I assume (basic electronics) low cell current is leading to the high voltage... cell is several years old... have cleaned, doesn't help

best source for cell?

first post here, I know there are several threads, apologies if repeat!

lEE

Where are you measuring this 70V, right at the cell? I would suggest taking the connectors off at the board that feed the cell and measuring there, if you are still getting 70V, it definately isnt the cell.

EDIT: It appears from looking over the troubleshooting manual that it could indeed be the cell. I would check both points first and then try to find a generic cell as they are usually a lot cheaper.

It is getting difficult to find the 2-port cell as those have been long discontinued. You can switch over to the new 3-port cell but that will require some plumbing. Do a search and you will find many threads with more information on the switch. Before buying a new cell I would verify that the boards are fine or else I would just buy a new complete system.

I don't think that 70 volts to the cell is likely. I think that the control limits the voltage to a maximum of 32 to 34 volts. I would suggest double checking to be sure. Make sure that the meter is on DC.

Also, the salt reading on the box can be wrong. Have the salt level tested with an electronic tester or drop test kit.

The cell cord might be bad. Check to make sure that the contacts are good.

In any case, the two port cell is an older style and it would not be unexpected for it to be bad.

Thanks all...the 70vdc reading was at both the board output nodes and the cell, so I think it is probably bad cell...

robl45, what is a "generic cell"

my local pool co can get two port, for $750, new design 3-port is around 500 +/- depending on whether one gets kit... so going with that

btw, is there any advantage to using the flow sensor in the new 3rd port, vs the one that is already plumbed into my filter piping? thanks all

I believe CompuPool makes a generic cell for the Jandy Aquapure. I have absolutely no idea what type of performance they have. I would like to see some reports on them before I would recommend them.

I would buy a new cell with the sensor included since it is not much more for the sensor and cell combo rather than just a cell. I would use the old sensor until it no longer works and then install the new sensor in the third port in the new cell and leave the old sensor in place but unplug it.

I believe CompuPool makes a generic cell for the Jandy Aquapure. I have absolutely no idea what type of performance they have. I would like to see some reports on them before I would recommend them.

I would buy a new cell with the sensor included since it is not much more for the sensor and cell combo rather than just a cell. I would use the old sensor until it no longer works and then install the new sensor in the third port in the new cell and leave the old sensor in place but unplug it.

Yes Compupool makes generic cell for at least 100 dollars less than the actual cell. I will buy that when my cell dies whenever that is. Compupool makes salt generators and likely 2 companies in the world are producing all the cells for all of these companies. I wouldn't be too worried about it not working correctly.

Yes Compupool makes generic cell for at least 100 dollars less than the actual cell. I will buy that when my cell dies whenever that is. Compupool makes salt generators and likely 2 companies in the world are producing all the cells for all of these companies. I wouldn't be too worried about it not working correctly.

Have you noticed that CompuPool had to redesign their own brand of SWG's due to failures lately? I would be worried about the cell life span and to save only 20% or so on the cell, no thank you. I also recommend buying a sensor whenever you buy a new cell as the cost is not that much more for the sensor and cell package. Buying a sensor by itself is a significant cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you noticed that CompuPool had to redesign their own brand of SWG's due to failures lately? I would be worried about the cell life span and to save only 20% or so on the cell, no thank you. I also recommend buying a sensor whenever you buy a new cell as the cost is not that much more for the sensor and cell package. Buying a sensor by itself is a significant cost.

Why would you need to replace the sensor? Just curious, I assume they would last quite a long time.

The Jandy sensors were having problems and they had a high failure rate, I'm on my fourth sensor in four years. This last sensor has been working for the last 1.5 years and is still working. I was lucky enough that all my sensors were replaced under warranty. There's no need to replace a working sensor, but by buying the cell and sensor together you get the sensor for a fraction of the price compared to having to buy just a sensor when you need to replace just the sensor.

The Jandy sensors were having problems and they had a high failure rate, I'm on my fourth sensor in four years. This last sensor has been working for the last 1.5 years and is still working. I was lucky enough that all my sensors were replaced under warranty. There's no need to replace a working sensor, but by buying the cell and sensor together you get the sensor for a fraction of the price compared to having to buy just a sensor when you need to replace just the sensor.

Yes, I'm reading about this now, I just replaced my transformer and my board and now it says no flow, I'm hoping at the very least its the sensor and the board isn't bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.