Resealed my stone today, still looking good.

skylar18

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2013
Austin, Texas
I was terrified when we built our pool as we used Oklahoma Flagstone for the coping and spa and fire pit, and decided to go with a Salt Water Chlorine Generator. Have been thrilled with that choice, hardly any maintenance. This was the sealer I put on before introduced to salt water a year and a half ago, and I reapplied today. I told everyone that I would keep everyone informed about the status of my natural stone and the salt water.

I am happy to report that there has been no degradation of my stone yet. We are right at 17 months. Still probably to early to tell, but I am happy so far.

Attachments

• IMG_2318.jpg
    IMG_2318.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_2315.jpg
    IMG_2315.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 470
Looks great. Can that be used on concrete pavers, and does it change the color of your stone or is it more of a dry / flat look?

Doesn't change the color at all. If you don't wipe up the excess sealer that doesn't soak in it can leave a milky white looking film on the stone, but I am getting good at wiping it off. Took me only about an hour to seal it this time, not sure if I am missing spots or getting better at applying!

Looks great. Can that be used on concrete pavers, and does it change the color of your stone or is it more of a dry / flat look?

For concrete you can use Glaze 'N Seal multi-purpose sealer at around $55 per gallon compared to around $150 per gallon for the Dupont product (which might be better for stone). A good sealer that repels water will keep out the salt as well, though obviously splash-out and evaporation will leave salt on the surface. The key is to not have it soak into soft stone. Concrete doesn't usually have the same problems with salt splash-out. Sealing will help the concrete last longer regardless of the salt.

That is the same sealant we have on our travertine and stone deco. I put it on about 8 months ago and it looks great. Glad to hear that you are experiencing similar results. I was not planning on re-sealng this year, I think we can probably go through another season based on how well water is still beading on the stone!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also have Oklahoma flagstone coping and have been wanting to switch to swcg, but have been scared to because of the horror stories that i have heard. How do you apply the sealer, with brush or pump sprayer? Also do you worry about getting the sealer in the pool water while applying it. My wife will be extremely happy if i can prove a sealer will save our stone and i can install a swcg. Thanks!!

In my case, I didnt use a sprayer because I was afraid any breeze that came along might cause overspray where I didnt want any to be.

And I dont trust myself enough with a sprayer to apply it evenly enough all around anyhow.

I used a 2 inch paintbrush and brushed the sealer on right around the edge of the pool so that none would drip in. I used a thick nap paint roller and did the rest of the deck. It worked out great for me without any problems.

I also have Oklahoma flagstone coping and have been wanting to switch to swcg, but have been scared to because of the horror stories that i have heard. How do you apply the sealer, with brush or pump sprayer? Also do you worry about getting the sealer in the pool water while applying it. My wife will be extremely happy if i can prove a sealer will save our stone and i can install a swcg. Thanks!!

How do you apply the sealer, with brush or pump sprayer? Also do you worry about getting the sealer in the pool water while applying it. My wife will be extremely happy if i can prove a sealer will save our stone and i can install a swcg. Thanks!!

I used a roller for the top of the coping, fire pit and spa and used a paint brush for the up and down stones around the fire pit and spa and the edge and bottom of the coping. The first time I did it I was really anal and was in the pool with a towel making sure none of the sealer got in the pool. This time, since the water is now in the 50's and there would be a better chance of me flying to the moon than getting in the pool, I just was pretty careful. I did have some drip in the pool but still a very minimal amount. I felt it was less of a problem then when my daughter and 10 of her friends jump n the pool with lotion, makeup, perfume and whatever else they have on.

The longer I have my pool I am finding myself how much more relaxed about what will get it out of wack and what won't.

QUOTE=ricky12;757926]Can you use this product for a moss rock waterfall? Or would that be too difficult?[/QUOTE]

Don't see why not, just has to be dry to apply and has to stay dry for 72 hours I believe. Might have to reapply more often with the constant water going over the rocks.

I'm no expert here nor pretend to be but I would think that a product that's costs 100.00 more for the same amount has to be better?? (55 for a gallon as opposed to 150)

Apples and oranges since the $150 product is for stone while the $50 one is for concrete (though they say it can be used for stone, it's not specifically designed to do so).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.