Lowest GPM for Aqua Rite SWG?

Feb 7, 2015
Palm Springs
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the lowest GPM needed for the Aqua Rite SWG to still work? I am trying to run my Intelliflo at the lowest possible RPM, outside of when heat is needed (which goes to 2350 rpm). Soon, the weather out here in the desert will require no heat source (other than the blazing sun) so I plan on running the pump 10 hrs or more per day at a very low rpm to save $$. of course, i want to make sure my SWG is still working, however. Anyone know the minimum GPM for the Aqua Rite SWG?

Welcome to the forum!

It is the flow switch that determines the lowest flow rate. I think i remember someone got theirs to work close to 15 GPM. But the easiest thing to do is to lower the RPM gradually and find out where it stops working. You have to leave a little margin for when the filter gets dirty.

But why run the pump 10 hours per day? I have a two speed pump and I only run on low for about 3 hours per day. Keep in mind that skimming does not work as well on low speed so I have found that the only reason to run on low is for the SWG. Otherwise, you are just wasting energy and not accomplishing much.

Welcome to TFP!

The minimum flow rate is roughly 15 gpm, though it varies depending on the individual unit. However, the specific number doesn't really matter. You can play with the pump speed, turning it down until the NO-Flow light comes on on the Auqa Rite, and then you know to run at a slightly faster speed than that.

By the by, you don't want to use the lowest possible speed. The IntelliFlo has a peak energy efficiency when running around 1000 RPM, so there is no point in going slower than that. You also want to run fast enough so that the skimmers work well, which is often 1,000 RPM but in some pools can be a little higher.

Also, 10 hours a day is almost certainly way too much pump run time. I would try something in the 4 to 6 hours a day range and see how that does.

Thanks for the info. I thought i should get at least 1 (or close to it) water turnover per day? Its a vacation rental meaning it has tenants renting it and using the pool every day... but you think i should cut it to 5 hrs per day at 1000 rpm? Trying to optimize the electricity savings and keep the pool clean, etc

Still only one family/group at time right? As long as you can keep the FC targets and you are not bound by commercial pool rules then yes, you can reduce run time as much as you want.

Many people are under the wrong impression that run time = water quality when in reality, proper chemistry = water quality. Run time is mostly for removing debris in the pool (i.e. aesthetics) which can be important when running a business. So that is your call. We just wanted you to know there are no hard fast rules on run time.

The whole turnover concept is mostly a myth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.