just exactly how do we do this.

JayGee

Aug 7, 2008
Ok, may sound silly. But one fellow referred to getting his beverage and setting down to the table and enjoying his testing. I've been sitting by the side of the pool dipping as needed. With arthritis :rant:, this is not comfortable at best.
Is there a better way? Taking a bottle with enough water to do all the testing? Reaching 18" down for the samples? I keep getting my sleeve wet. (Past & present work habits have me wearing long sleeve shirts all year round.)

A color applicator bottle (squirt bottle) from the beauty supply store (the Clairol ones with the narrow black tip) make it very easy to dispense the right amount of pool water for each test.

waterbear said:
A color applicator bottle (squirt bottle) from the beauty supply store (the Clairol ones with the narrow black tip) make it very easy to dispense the right amount of pool water for each test.

Goodness waterbear! What a great idea! I never thought to use a color applicator bottle! *smacking self*

Just another reason why I love Trouble Free Pool! 8) :rockon: 8)

Casey said:
Goodness waterbear! What a great idea! I never thought to use a color applicator bottle! *smacking self*

Just another reason why I love Trouble Free Pool! 8) :rockon: 8)
I am still licensed as a Barber and Cosmetologist but basically retired from that industry (used to teach both besides being a colorist for many years in Miami) so I have a LOT of them lying around! :mrgreen:
Had to find a good use for them! :wink:

As far as where to get the sample. get it in an area of the pool that has decent circulation, not right near a reaturn, and at least a foot below the water surface. Don't try it with a long sleeve shirt on, it WILL get wet. I collect in the deep end near the skimmer by submerging my arm up to about the elbow. An alternative is to collect the sample while you are IN the pool. If nothing else, this gives you an excuse to hit the water every day! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I use the sample bottle that the pool company left for me. They actually left another one when they closed the pool last year (I guess they are trying to get me to the store). It is much easier to measure the right amount of water this way in the test vials.

I also like Waterbear's suggestion of getting into the pool each day to collect the sample, which is what I do. Swimming every day!

I go out to the pool with a 1 qt clean plastic bowl, rinse it in pool water, then submerge it open side down to as far as my short arm will reach, turn it over and let it fill. Then I bring it in to the kitchen table and fill my vials from that. I wondered if this was okay, but that does not sound too different than a plastic squirt bottle. The bottle is a good idea though, if I can get my hands on one. I tried doing the tests outside the first time, and the wind blew everything all over- what a mess. I do not have a deck yet, and the pool is 150 ft from the house, so one trip out and back is much easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.