Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: just exactly how do we do this.

1. Back To Top    #1

just exactly how do we do this.

Ok, may sound silly. But one fellow referred to getting his beverage and setting down to the table and enjoying his testing. I've been sitting by the side of the pool dipping as needed. With arthritis , this is not comfortable at best.
    Is there a better way? Taking a bottle with enough water to do all the testing? Reaching 18" down for the samples? I keep getting my sleeve wet. (Past & present work habits have me wearing long sleeve shirts all year round.)
    ETexas 24,000 Vinyl lined IG cartridge filter:(

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: just exactly how do we do this.

I have a squirt bottle, actually one from the pool store from long ago, that I fill with water once, then do all my testing from that one bottle.

This way I only bend over once, and get my arm wet once.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a squirt bottle too. I squirt a little too much sometimes though.

4. Back To Top    #4

A color applicator bottle (squirt bottle) from the beauty supply store (the Clairol ones with the narrow black tip) make it very easy to dispense the right amount of pool water for each test.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    A color applicator bottle (squirt bottle) from the beauty supply store (the Clairol ones with the narrow black tip) make it very easy to dispense the right amount of pool water for each test.
    Goodness waterbear! What a great idea! I never thought to use a color applicator bottle! *smacking self*

Just another reason why I love Trouble Free Pool! 8) 8)
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I use a test bottle with the squirt end I got from the pool store. The only good use I found from the thing!
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a small bottle that I use. I don't get the sample 18 inch down; more like 6 inches.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Casey

Goodness waterbear! What a great idea! I never thought to use a color applicator bottle! *smacking self*

Just another reason why I love Trouble Free Pool! 8) 8)
    I am still licensed as a Barber and Cosmetologist but basically retired from that industry (used to teach both besides being a colorist for many years in Miami) so I have a LOT of them lying around!
    Had to find a good use for them!

As far as where to get the sample. get it in an area of the pool that has decent circulation, not right near a reaturn, and at least a foot below the water surface. Don't try it with a long sleeve shirt on, it WILL get wet. I collect in the deep end near the skimmer by submerging my arm up to about the elbow. An alternative is to collect the sample while you are IN the pool. If nothing else, this gives you an excuse to hit the water every day!

9. Back To Top    #9

I use the sample bottle that the pool company left for me. They actually left another one when they closed the pool last year (I guess they are trying to get me to the store). It is much easier to measure the right amount of water this way in the test vials.

I also like Waterbear's suggestion of getting into the pool each day to collect the sample, which is what I do. Swimming every day!
    30K gal in ground shotcrete pool with Sunstone Select finish
    Attached raised spa with spillway
    DE filter, 400K btu heater
    Ray-Vac cleaner
    Use BBB methods

10. Back To Top    #10

I go out to the pool with a 1 qt clean plastic bowl, rinse it in pool water, then submerge it open side down to as far as my short arm will reach, turn it over and let it fill. Then I bring it in to the kitchen table and fill my vials from that. I wondered if this was okay, but that does not sound too different than a plastic squirt bottle. The bottle is a good idea though, if I can get my hands on one. I tried doing the tests outside the first time, and the wind blew everything all over- what a mess. I do not have a deck yet, and the pool is 150 ft from the house, so one trip out and back is much easier.
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!