Trying to get my water balanced

Jan 1, 2015
Richland
I've read Pool School, I've bought a Taylor K2006 and did the Pool Math, but my outdoor spa looks like the black lagoon (funky smell and scum around the edge). When testing for FC, I had to add NUMEROUS (10+) dippers of R-0870 to get the 10ml sample to turn the faintest pink. When I added the R-0871, the FC reading came out to 0.4. When I added 5 drops of R-0003, it didn't turn pink, therefore, I couldn't get a CC reading. My other readings are: pH 7.0, TA 70, CH 280, CYA 37, temp is 104F. Would the fact that I'm using Bromine give false readings for anything? I've purchased some Ahh-some and am thinking of draining in and starting over. The last time I filled it was October 31st. There's two of us that use the spa for 45 minutes 2-3 times per week.

260 gallon, Bromine, no ozonator, well water, cartridge filter.

From your description, your FC and CC readings are both zero. If it doesn't turn pink, at least for a moment, when you add the first scoop of R-0870, then FC is zero. If it remains clean when you add R-0003 then CC is zero. Also, it is better to do the test with a smaller (10 ml) water sample so that each drop is 0.5. That will save on reagents and provide more than enough precision for anything you might need to do.

It is possible to rescue your water, but it would take a lot of chlorine. It might well be simpler to drain the spa and start over.

Yes, you can use bleach as the disinfectant during the Ahh-Some treatment. As for how much, the purpose is just to make sure bacteria aren't growing but with Ahh-Some dislodging material I'd have the FC at 10 ppm or thereabouts so that it doesn't get used up too quickly. However, with a really nasty spa you might consider superchlorinating in which case that's 50-100 ppm FC -- it's not for that long though since the Ahh-Some treatment is over a matter of hours, not days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.