Building above automatic safety cover hatch (pit)

Jun 13, 2013
We've decided to go ahead and get our pool done this summer but my wife has insisted on an automatic safety cover as we have a little guy running around. Now I'm having trouble deciding how to build around the pit of where the cover will be housed. I initially planned on putting a sun deck at the edge of the pool, but now that the pit will also be located there, I'm not sure what to do. I've attached a picture of the look i was going for. Should I just build to the edge of the concrete pit? or perhaps build overtop and create an accessible hatch.

Has anybody gone through this? tips and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

ipe deck.jpg

You can see some before/during/after pictures in our build thread from the link in my signature. We have an undermount autocover with heavy duty SS brackets and 24" x 12" (roughly) flagstone cover stones. I would think the best would be to have stones covering the pit that match your coping, then running the deck up to that. It's really no different from the picture above except that the coping along that side is the pit cover instead of coping.

Ours will also be an undermount. Are you able to stand on the coping on the SS brackets? Not that i would want to, but that's my worry that somebody would that didn't know they shouldn't.

Also, isn't it a pain to access the pit? Are you removing each coping stone one by one?

If you do the vault correctly you will have the braces to support your coping stones and they will be sturdy enough to walk on. We have been doing stone lids for over ten years and have not had one fall in yet. Yes accessing the vault is a ***** but that is the price you pay for a beautiful installation.

They are very sturdy. Easily sturdy enough to walk on. That was a requirement for us. The stones are heavy but just lift off. I've only taken them off once in two years. Not that much debris gets in mine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.