how to reactivate auto-fill

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
We are still in the punch list phast of our pool, and they had to drain it about a 1-2" below where the pebblesheen meets the tile water line.

I would assume the autofill water line has been disabled, and wanted to get it work again instead of running the hose inside pool. How do you get the auto-fill to wk again?

Also, I was told to take out of service mode at noon today and start pump again for cirulation. I did so wout thinking the water line was below the skimmers. I went back and turned off the pump-filtering system, but wanted to know did the pump cavitate or will the return lines refill w water as the skimmers fill? If not, do I need to bleed air out of the return water lines or other?

Thanks you,
tstex

Usually there is a valve controlling the auto fill system at the point where the water supply pipe comes out of inside the house, though occasionally it is located elsewhere (inside, near the equipment pad, etc.).

You will probably need to prime the pump again, and then once the system is running let any air in the filter out. Everything else should be taken care of automatically when the water level gets up to the skimmer(s).

thanks a million jason !!

Do I just open the pump cover [Haward EcoStar VSP] and fill it up w water to the top, then of course close?

Also, I have the Hayward C4030 Cartridge Filter...I see there is a manual relief valve at the top. When do I open this valve, prior to turning on the pump or after the pump has had time to circulate and build-up some pressure? Also, when I open the MR Valve, do I open it all the way or partially of X percentage?

Thanks again,
tstex

Yes, to prime the pump you open the strainer basket lid, fill with water, close the lid, and then turn on the pump.

To let air out of the filter, wait until the pump is running and seems to be remaining primed, then open the valve on the top of the filter, close it again as soon as water starts coming out (which often happens quickly). Generally you open it just enough to hear air coming out, and stay ready to close it quickly. If the filter is completely drained it is sometimes worth opening it further as there is lots of air, but commonly there is only a little air and you will need to close it almost instantly.

The pump did cavitate at start-up so I re-primed, but it was a skimmer flap that was stuck and blocking the water flow.

I did purge the Cartridge filtering system of all air until steady stream of water. The pump see-thur glass was then clear and water flowing well - the pool outlets and spa were all working correctly.

Finally, when bleeding out the air, the water shot out real close to the controller. I knew ahead of time to shut the controller door, otherwise the water would have hit is squarely. Is there a way to move the direction of the pressure relief valve?

Thank you,
tstex

Usually the air release valve can screw in/out a little bit while still maintaining a proper seal, allowing some control over where the water sprays. Do not turn more than a half turn, less if possible.

The next time you open up the filter to clean the cartridge, you may be able to put the top back on rotated some to adjust where the air release sprays. On my DE filter, there is no required clocking between the bottom and top halves of the filter so I can point the air release (or more important to me, the filter pressure gauge) any way I want. Not sure if the cartridge filters have a required clock or not. I would try this before turning the air release valve personally.

Is it the type you can slip a clear tubing over the air valve it will run out the bottom of the tubing..I have this now..
a058de54aaf2841624b54de3ec690dc9.jpg

Thank you for the feedback guys, it is appreciated.

One ques: If you attach the clear tubing, I would assume you do not want to restrict the flow too much, correct?

Also, I still have pool school w the PB, so along w showing me how to clean the cartridge filtering system, I will see if we can move the direction of this valve. Once I get the solution, I will post back. Hopefully I can help the next person.

Regards,
tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the feedback guys, it is appreciated.

One ques: If you attach the clear tubing, I would assume you do not want to restrict the flow too much, correct?

Also, I still have pool school w the PB, so along w showing me how to clean the cartridge filtering system, I will see if we can move the direction of this valve. Once I get the solution, I will post back. Hopefully I can help the next person.

Regards,
tstex
When you open the air valve, air comes out first then water, just close the valve when you see or hear water coming out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.