Solar Panel Leak -- Call Contractor, or DIY?

Jan 10, 2015
Livermore, CA
Hi All,

Curious for opinions: I have leaking heliocol panels on my roof. The leak is quite substantial (you can see it trickle off the roof) so it should be easy to identify the source of the leak and fix it. Here's the problem: The building the panels are on is approximately 21 feet from the ground to the eve of the roof. My last house was a single story, and I did lots of DIY projects on the roof, but I'm new to house-ownership with a tall roof.

So here are my options:
1) Call a contractor. What type of contractor would I call? My gut says that this is going to be in the $500 range. Not a huge deal, but what about the next time I need to get on my roof? I don't love the idea of being reliant on contractors every time something needs to happen on my roofs.

2) Get a tall ladder and safety equipment -- do it myself. I'm thinking that I'd get a harness and throw a rock climbing rope across the top of my house. I'd be tied down at all times and I'd also probably ratchet-strap the ladder in place. I'm a bit of a safety freak so if I'm going to do it myself I'm going to basically do it as close to zero risk as possible. I'm moderately experienced with plumbing, so I'm sure I can handle the actual fixing of the leak.

I'm not excited to get on my roof and do it myself, but at the same time I'm not enthusiastic about always being reliant on contractors. Anyone in a similar boat have an opinion? What type of contractor would I even call?

I hate high roofs. I gave away my 24' ladder long ago and don't want it back. Every leak I have had on my solar panels has been hose clamps, tighten em up and good to go. My stuff is all one story now. I think I would invest in the safety gear for future needs. If you had to call someone I guess it would have to be a pool guy.

The Heliocol website has a dealer locator you can use. I have used my local dealer for a repair, and I found them to be quite reasonable. My opinion is, if you don't feel comfortable getting up on the roof for a repair, then hire the job out to a pro. But, I'm sure that you could do it safely the way you describe if you wanted to go that route.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.