Snow and pool cover

Dec 18, 2014
Belle River, Ontario
Being a first time pool owner I have a question.

We have an in ground pool and it snowed A LOT here last night (and still snowing a bit today). The previous owners of the house closed the pool so I assume they did it right.

Do you have to / Should you remove snow from the top of the cover when you have a lot of snow .. if so, HOW??

Here is a picture of my lovely pool right now :D

IMG_20150202_082429.jpg

If the cover has the proper amount of slack and is sitting down on the water there shouldn't be any problem and there is nothing you need to do.

You get into trouble when the cover is partially taut and is holding up some of the weight of the snow, which tends to lead to collapses.

The covers are made to pull down and float on the pool water (or sit on the ice, depending on how cold it has been) and thus hold the weight without any problems. I wouldn't worry about it until it melts. Once it starts to melt I like to pull the water off before it refreezes because if you get a big block of ice on top it seems to take forever for the ice on top to melt and thus longer for the pool to warm up in the spring, but maybe that's just my imagination.

Maybe it's just me but I see Ontario and "it snowed A LOT" and that picture doesn't match up with my expectation, that looks about like our backyard right now.

Lol, that IS a lot of snow for Belke River...they're actually pretty far south...eg Detroit is North ;)

Regnant in just do be clear, do not attempt to remove snow from cover.
Let it melt.

It your cover has a mesh panel in the center, or is the mesh type, the water goes back in the pool. If its fully solid, you will need to use a cover pup to get th water off once its in a liquid state. Don't pump if you have mesh at all ;)

Yeah we are south of Detroit. I hear that this is a lot of snow for the area (1st winter here). However that is a lot of snow for many places in Ontario (in one snow fall).

Not sure if the centre is mesh or not, it was already on when we moved in and had some water on it, and I never looked closely. I will get a small pump for when it starts to melt closer to spring and get rid of some of the water. Thanks for the advice

edit: I went out to shovel the back deck so I can BBQ some steak tonight... it is about 2 feet deep on the deck (mostly drifts because we only got about 12-15 inches in snow fall)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.