got pool... help

zacc44

Jan 29, 2015
TX
so ... the pool came with the house, i have no idea what to do with it
my main issue is
- the pentair ?pump? works nonstop ... is that normal ? ... i dont even live in the house yet and the electric bill shows continuous power usage (66 kwh/day)
- the water feature (spa fountain) is always on ... unless i press the "spa" button, i want this thing off or controllable...
- where does the skimmer trash go so i can clean it

i have included some pictures of the equipment side maybe you can help me understand these things before i call the pool guy and he starts saying unknown words to me :)

pool-eq-overview.jpgpool-eq-pump.jpgpool-eq-cell.jpg

Hi Zacc44,
Welocme to TFP! Youve come to the right place to find out how to maintain you pool. I will give it a go to start. Some others will prolly chime in also,

Regarding the pump running, it is NOT necessary to run it 24/7. Most folks use a timer to control how long it runs.

Somewhere on the wall or maybe inside box 2, is a switch that turns the pump on and off.
If the house has been vacant, the pump may be running to prevent freezing. During freezing weather, you definitely want the water moving, else you might suffer a broken pipe.

During warmer weather, you need the pump to run long enough to keep the water skimmed, and long enough to allow the chloring generator to produce enough chlorine to keep the pool sanitized and sparkly clean.

I would highly recommend 2 things right now.
First,
you will need a water test kit so you know what to add, or not to add to the pool. Here is a link to the highly reliable test kits. (Dont trust pool store testing, they are notoriously wrong).
www.tftestkits.net I think most everyone on this forum would recommened the TF100. Its definitely awesome!

Secondly, start reading Pool School. Big button at the top of the page. There is an infinite amount of info that you will need to learn so maintain your pool.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/

As for cleaning the trash.
At pool side, on the deck, by the skimmer (the skimmer is where the pump sucks in the water from the pool), is a cover, most likely plastic square shape with a hole in the middle of it. Remove that cover and inside is a basket that collects leaves and other stuff that gets sucked in. Keep that basket cleaned out. There is a handle on the basket. Just grab it and pull it out. Recommend to do this with the pump turned off.

Also, on your pump is a lid with a "clear top" on it. The lit probably unscrews off of the pump. Under that lid is another basket that collects stuff that gets past the skimmer basket. Keep the pump basket cleaned out.

Pic 1.
. I think #1, might be the saltwater generator (SWG) controller, but its hard to tell without a close up pic.

Pic 2, I think is the Pool Control panel, Given that you have electric actuated valves means that there is a probably a remote controller somewhere. The remote controller controls the relays in the Control Panel, which in turn opens and closes the selected valves. The RC also can program the saltwater system and the pump on/off and run time and probably control the heater and pool lights too. There is probably a control panel in the box too, in case the remote goes on the blink, you can manually control the equipment.

Pic 3 is the filter - looks like a pentair cartridge filter - which is excellent one. This filter removes the fine particulates in the water.
It will need periodic cleaning.

Pic 4. Cannot tell what it is by the pic.

Pic 5 is the pentair 2 HP pump

Pic 6 Is the saltwater generator cell. This thing uses electrolysis to turn the saltwater into chlorine.

Pic 7 is the heater.

Pic 8. Those are valves and it looks like they probably control the flow from the equipment pad back to the pool/ spa/ fountain, or whatever water features you have. (Return side)

Pic 9 These are also valves and control the flow from the pool skimmer(s) and main drains/spa or whatever (Suction side)

sorry the forum didnt let me upload more pictures

the thing on a stick, from looking around i think its the blower for the spa jets,

i opened panels up

i think 1 is the control panel, 2 is the swg
--- so the pump is not controlled by these? they told me it runs on a program from 8pm to 5am, but that pump is always running 24/7 !

i think there's a intermatic/timer wheel box under those ones, but i didnt think to check it !...

Yup. One box is the SWG controller, the other is the equipment controller. Both of them are made by the Jandy company are are good quality.

ON the right hand side, in the Valves area. I think pushing that bottom button toggles between all of the options. Pool, Spa, etc... Im not very familiar with Jandy controllers, so dont take my word on that as gospel.

In the equipment controller is a button for Filter Pump. That should turn the pump on and off, depending of course if there is a timer and how its set. Not unusual at all for there to me an intermatic timer in the mix or the run time could be controlled by the Jandy Aqualink Remote controller.

If there is freeze protection installed in the system, it will turn the pump on when the temp gets to (usually) 39F no matter what, unless of course the main power to the equipment controller is turned off.

On your valve set up, the ones that are 'square' on top and dont have a handle are controllerd by the Jandy controller. If you turn on/ off the spa/pool, those valves will open/close and control the water flow to them. Just to be clear, they dont do anything to the pump, they just open and close the water paths.

All of the other valves are of course manually operated. Looks like you might have to just open and close them one by one to determine exaclty which return or jet they go to. Im sure one of them turns off that spa fountain you mentioned earlier.

I tell though, its a really clean looking set-up on the plumbing. Someone took their time, knew what they were doing, and did a nice job on it.

For a better way to post pics, which is what most of us do, ...
set up a photobucket account and you can post all of the big pics you want into your post.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72545-Posting-Photo-s-Tutorial

omg so that intervalometer was for some sprinklers it wasnt connected to the pump or panel :(

so the only connection coming out of the pump goes into the control panel.

is it then that there's a program setup that keeps that pump going all the time ??

omg so that intervalometer was for some sprinklers it wasnt connected to the pump or panel :(
haha!
so the only connection coming out of the pump goes into the control panel.
Ok.. sounds right.
is it then that there's a program setup that keeps that pump going all the time ??

Most likely I think it is in manual mode to run non stop. Makes no sense to have a program to run full time. The program would be to run either a determined period of time each day, or even perhaps several shorter periords of time each day, which would be preferable, especially with a Saltwater Generator in the mix.

Now having said this, we dont (or at least I dont), know with 100% certainty if there is a remote controller or not. I highly suspect there is a remote, because you have electrically actuated valves. And if there is one, the next question is "does it work"?

If there is, and it does, then the remote controller will be able to set up a run time program. If there is not a remote controller, then at minimum a timer would be recommended to control the pump run times.

I suspect the pump is running full time just keep water circulating in case of freezing temps. You always want water circulating because it takes wayyy longer for moving water to freeze than still water. If no one is currently in the house now, to take care of it all, then leaving the pump running is probably the right thing to do.

You certainly do not need nor want your pump running non stop after you take control of it.

sorry i dont know why it didnt upload - remote is

the remote - no buttons are lighted

and the control panel shows mode on auto, the valves on pool, i toggled between the mode options on the control panel (auto-service-time out), but none changed the pump

the original panel image shows when i pressed the remote into spa mode then the fountain would shut off

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.