Replaced motor and now pump is squealing

Feb 1, 2015
Mesa
Hi all,

I tried searching the forum and didn't see anything identical, so I thought I would post a new thread.

My old Pentair Whisperflo 2HP died (turned on and only hummed), so I replaced the motor, shaft seal and impeller. Now, when I start it up, it has a squeal / grind noise. It's not terribly loud and will vary slightly, but continues. I don't have a lot of experience, but it feels like some kind of grinding rather than bearings, but i suppose it could be the bearings even though it is a new motor... my question is really, what else could it be?

Some other details...

The model number of the new pump is different because the one I had is no longer sold. It seems to be identical where it counts and fits well.

The shaft seal instructions said to use silicone sealant on the metal portion of the shaft seal which I did not do.

The diffuser had some plastic shavings built up near the shaft hole, which I scraped away. It seemed well in tact.

I ran the pump for about 10 seconds without it having been primed. It didn't really make any noise before I noticed, turned it off, and primed it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Ron

Welcome to TFP!

Maybe try using the silicon sealant as instructed? It may help.

After reading the wording from a WhisperFlo manual available online, I'd agree with Casey.

1. When installing the replacement shaft seal, use silicone sealant on the metal portion before pressing into the seal plate, being careful to keep off of the seal face. Ensure the seal is fully seated and allow 24 hours for sealant to cure. (Complete seal plate w/sealreplacement kit available, P/N 350201/350101.)

Normally Silicone sealant would only be used for sealing against leaks, but it might just be a belt n' suspenders kind of design where the press fit of the seal can't be relied on to hold it in place, and they have you use silicone sealant to ensure it doesn't spin. Did you make sure it went fully down into the bore? I'd take it back apart and use the sealant as they suggest. If the metal part of the seal isn't a nice snug fit in the seal plate, I'd have to wonder if the plate has been worn oversize. While you have it apart, check for other possible causes.

Thanks for the replies, but the problem seems to have resolved itself for now. I left the pump running and over about 8 hours time, the noise gradually faded to nothing and has been running silent since. If it was indeed the seal plate, I guess it seated. If the noise ever starts back up, I'll look at putting silicone sealant on. However, I had to pound the shaft seal into place (using a 1" pipe) to get it to seat properly in the first place. My guess is the noise was from something else rubbing rather than the shaft seal slipping, but I may not ever know. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.