Total Solar Eclipse 2017

A note or two for anyone who is located in or especially traveling to a city of any major size for eclipse viewing: PSA- Be aware that cell phone reception/service may be reduced with all the extra folks in the area. Texting may be your friend. A printed map of where you're going in case you can't magically "Google" it up. Gas up vehicle frequently, local supplies will be stressed. A few extra supplies with you in case you get stranded in traffic. They say traffic is already backing up for 30 miles for interstate access in Oregon.

Google map directions can now be downloaded locally on your device so you won't require an internet connection, though a paper map isn't a bad thing to have in the glove compartment (hopefully everyone remembers how to read one).

We are just about to leave for TN. Hopefully we beat the biggest rush...

I'm in Columbia, MO so we are in the path of totality. It's already become a pain here. Gas went up almost .30 a gallon today and I imagine it will continue to rise through Monday. Traffic is expected to be extremely heavy on both major highways coming into the city. I'm thankful I only have a 10 minute drive on back roads to get to work and I don't have to go anywhere else this weekend or early next week. I'll be at work, but we are closing for an hour so everyone will be able to see it and the schools here have some pretty cool stuff planned for our kids. I'm thankful I only have a 10 minute drive on back roads to get to work and I don't have to go anywhere else this weekend or early next week. Still a pretty cool deal and I know my kids are beyond excited to watch it.

I just got some super cool Eclipse stamps! Solar Eclipse Forever Stamps | USPS The Total Eclipse of the Sun stamp is the first U.S. stamp to use thermochromic ink, which reacts to the heat of your touch. Placing your finger over the black disc on the stamp causes the ink to change from black to clear to reveal an underlying image of the moon. The image reverts back to the black disc once it cools. The back of the stamp pane shows a map of the eclipse path.

We have been in Tennessee visiting our friends. Went to Gatlinburg on Saturday and it was surprisingly no worse than you would expect on a Saturday. Today though we went to a cave called The Lost Sea and the place was packed. License plates from all around, people with eclipse shirts on, the guy making glass works said it has been crazy. When we got off the interstate exit there were a dozen "eclipse parking this way" signs. Every yard and parking lot was either marked off with caution tape or had a sign offering parking. Going rate is $30. Even the vineyard we visited had RVs and tents set up in their property.

Yeah, I am already mapping out alternate routes back home to avoid the interstate. Still though, weather looks perfect for tomorrow and I am excited!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
85 South out of Charlotte and 985 out of Atlanta look to be parking lots according to Google maps.

I am going to a quiet little street I run on and take video/pictures.

I will be a little glad when this is over. You cannot go 2 minutes without hearing about it, or a warning to not look at it without glasses. I usually enjoy local morning news while preparing and eating breakfast but I had to turn it off today.

Alright you Slackers!................post up some of those "Eclipse" playlists!

Walking on the sun--smash mouth
Bad Moon Rising---CCR
Fly Me to the moon------Old Blue Eyes
Moonshadow---Cat Stevens
Skyfall--Adele
Ain't No Sunshine---Bill Withers
Total Eclipse Of the heart--
Black Hole Sun---Soundgarden
Blinded by the light
Dancing In The Dark---The Boss
Here Comes The Sun--The Immortal Fab 4!
Stars On The Water---Mr.Jimmy buffett
Vincent---Don Mclean
Eclipse---Pink Floyd
Dancing In The moonlight--King Harvest
Sunglasses At Night--Corey Heart
Red Rubber Ball--The Cyrkle
Cheap Sunglasses----ZZ-----------NOT recommended!
That Lucky Old Sun----Willie

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah..................and who is drinking what concoction for the Eclipse
Vodka Sunrises here!.......(but open to suggestions)

It was only a 2/3rds obscuration but I was able to see it using my nifty camera-obscura -

6df5a369210413235c21ef58ef794a53.jpg

Here I am using it -

ff440708d434e275ae9867fa91e45bd5.jpg

The sun felt noticeably cooler on my skin.

Nice to see you dressed up for the special occasion

Yeah, stupid HOA rules [emoji35] I have to wear clothes whenever I can be seen from the common area [emoji849]

Here's a shot my neighbor sent me from the holes in her blinds projecting onto her tile floor -

a5c9b34879a7e9d56088cc69029c75fc.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.