Plaster mottling

LisaDLu

Nov 14, 2014
Palm Desert, CA
What is an acceptable amount of plaster mottling? We had our pool replastered 10 days ago. Before they started filling the pool I noticed some creamy beige mottling on some of the walls but thought that was normal because it was wet, fresh plaster. I was thinking it would dissipate when the pool was filled and curing over time but it's been 10 days and no better. It is basically over the whole pool (bottom and sides), might have been like that before filling pool but I'm not sure, I remember seeing it on some of the walls but thought everything looked really good. It's not terrible and only really noticeable when the water is still but there is definite mottling. Also, the pool guy who was doing our start up came the first day after filled (Thurs) and added acid. He came back two days (Sat) later and added acid, but he has been a no show since then. I took over testing and added acid on Wed and again yesterday Friday. I just added chlorine today and am going to wait to test before adding more acid. Could the erratic start up have caused this mottling or made it worse?

I have a 3 year warranty. The plasterer said my warranty was good whether I did the start up or the pool guy. I've tried to attach photos I took when the pool was freshly plastered and getting filled with water. I thought the mottling would go away as it dried, and at the beginning I kept thinking the mottling on the floor was the plaster dust settling as I brushed the pool. Any opinions if this is the plasterers responsibility to correct? He is coming over Mon or Tues to deliver my eyeballs that were on backorder. Is it as simple as draining the pool and doing a light acid wash? After Plaster 3.jpgAfter Plaster 3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the duplicate photo. It should have been this one.After Plaster 8.jpg

I was thinking you needed to drain the pool for an acid wash so that makes me feel better, thank you! Any opinions if this could be corrected with an acid wash or just due to poor workmanship? I've seen online where it can mottle if they work the plaster too much when it's too dry. Is it possible it will fade over time as the plaster keeps curing? I'm just not sure on what is "normal" for a plaster pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.