Mollyj

Nov 14, 2014
Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Overnight, I'm using a heavy duty tarp weighted down with bottles and that works fine.

I got fed up with leaves and blossom from the trees falling in the pool a while back so decided to make a cover for the top for during the day. Not sure if this has been done before but it's made of net curtain material. I was lucky enough to have a curtain maker living next door a few years back and she gave me heaps of new net - odd sizes and shapes, it had to be sewn in a kind of patchwork fashion but it works really well.

Looks great... Ingenious.... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Mollyj, just a quick tip.... If you don't want a rust stain appearing around the top of your pool, keep taking your ladder out... It's releasing rust into your water and its a pain to get it out.... Mine only stays in when someone is in the pool.... I'm buying a resin ladder next year, but they're so bloody expensive here in Oz..... :-(

Oh thanks for that Laceygirl, it doesn't look rusty but it is a pain int he neck to keep putting those removable steps on. I suppose one thing I keep thinking about is putting more **** in the pool if they keep going in and out. How do you store yours and do you rinse them off before putting them back in? I suppose they could just go in the shed.

I was thinking that next year, I will make different permanent steps from wood or plastic and then get a set of either wedding steps or like you, resin ones.

This pool has been so much fun, the water keeps getting clearer and the net works really well - one thing though, last night for the first time I left it on all night and boy oh boy, the water was flippen cold this morning. I reckon my heavy duty tarp cover is keeping the heat in over night - so unless we have a run of 40deg days I'll keep putting the cover on.

Hey Mollyj,

The rust happens on the inside of the poles.... You only notice when pull the ladder out and let the water drain.... Its rusty coloured... I just drag mine in and out each time the kids want to use the pool.... It's also a very handy way to keep the kids out without a parent present, its just too heavy and awkward for them to lift, so more peace of mind.... I don't rinse it, I probably should, but it gets completely dry which also helps inhibit early rusting....

Because we don't have that much summer left, I've already started compiling a list of stuff I will need for next year.... A ladder is at the top of that list...

We've finally got some summer weather here, its going to get to 30 degrees today, bout bloody time... :) The kids are at school so I get the pool to myself today.. The solar cover is off, the skimmer is skimming, its all happening here... :)

e9043a1fd6e461cde8c5fdd0b60f82a7.jpg

It's about 3 metres away from my pool tucked into the corner

523b7e6a6ca081c5c23fb931c98e7ec4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Laceygirl, I'll do the same, like you I'm counting on another few weeks of summer - 6 weeks tops I reckon. We're in for hot, hot, hot over the next few days - possibly up in the 40's by the weekend.

I went in the pool yesterday afternoon to vacuum and completely forgot to take a piccie - I'll do it tonight for sure - swimming after work, such fun :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are another couple of pictures of the pool in the garden. Next year, hopefully, the citrus trees will have grown more so it will be a bit more camouflaged. I'm already thinking of getting the same size pool as you have ie next size up to this one. The grass is so dead with the lack of rain this year - we're planning on replacing the lawn next year plus add more bushes so the whole garden will look tidier.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0voan7ypg5y7bqr/RIMG0028.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgdhrf081ygr1xw/RIMG0029.jpg?dl=0

Laceygirl, when you say rust ring from the ladder, do you mean round the top of the pool or on the bottom? I am getting lots of stuff on the bottom which I though was sand, but it could be the rust.

Wow Mollyj, it looks awesome.... :) We need a water pic.... :)

My rust stain was right around the top rim of the pool..... It might be rust on the floor of your pool, and I believe there's a thread in pool school on how to remove metals from the water.....

I love your yard.....

Thank you Laceygirl - the yard is a work in progress, we were lucky when we bought this place, it's so close to a huge shopping centre and yet you wouldn't know it. Retirement here will be easy with all one level and walking distance to everywhere. I have such huge plans for my pool area in the future - just need the cash and the time - oh and the knowledge.

I think it is sand on the bottom of the pool - not sure how often the sand has to be changed in these filters - have to read the instructions again. Are you still swimming? I did add a couple of piccies to the topic on cloudy water in getting started forum topic - not brilliant ones though.

The kids are still swimming, I got in a couple of days ago.... Can't close the pool until the pool water temperature gets down to 15 degrees celcius, so I'll keep it open till then..... I was going to take it down, but now I'm not so sure.....

I agree the summer over this year, has been terrible.... Here's hoping next year will be better....

You have to be careful what you wish for - it's been so hot over here, yesterday the pool was like a warm bath - only trying to make you envious of course ;) Hope it gets warmer for you before taking it down, that must be a very sad day :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.