Heater question..

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
I am looking at installing a heater this spring. This is what my pool company came up with.

Pentair 250 BTU, natural gas $2,479.
3x3 pad $300
Hook up to gas line $50
Installation $350

Does this seem about right?

Also, is it possible to purchase one online (looking at costs) and is it hard to find someone to install?

I wanted to go with a bigger Raypack but this is what they are telling me this will work just fine.

TIA

Chris

We generally recommend getting the largest heater you can manage. Heating a pool takes a tremendous amount of heat, which often means hours or days to get up to temperature from cold. A larger heater will speed up that process noticeably. Of course your gas line needs to be large enough to handle it.

Not all installers will install equipment you provide, but enough of them will that it isn't usually too difficult to find someone who will do that.

The heater in that bid is way over priced and then they are charging an install on top of that, which makes the total rather high. I am sure you can find a better deal elsewhere.

Thanks Jason,

I wanted to go larger and this pool company said it was overkill.

I have another estimate from someone else.

Raypak 406,00 BTU Natural gas $2780 with taxes the other company didn't include tax.

Parts and installation $550
He says I don't need another pad, the other company does.

There isn't to many other pool companies around here so I feel kind stuck. I just want to make sure I get the right size.

This estimate is better and not too high. It comes with a higher quality heater and the right size. A complete DIYer would save around $700ish, but you would need experience with electrical and gas which are both deadly if handled incorrectly.

Go for the Raypak. It will serve you well. The price $2780 I would think would include install. $550 on top of that brings it to a expensive heater, in my opinion.

JasonLion said:
We generally recommend getting the largest heater you can manage. Heating a pool takes a tremendous amount of heat, which often means hours or days to get up to temperature from cold. A larger heater will speed up that process noticeably. Of course your gas line needs to be large enough to handle it.
+1

To heat a given water volume up to a desired temperature will take a specific number of BTU's (all other factors held constant), regardless of what type/size heater you have. A larger heater will simply do the job faster than a smaller one. Either way, the same number of BTU's will be used to reach a specific target temperature.

This calculator may help. It is Excel-based and is designed for calculating the cost of using a natural gas heater to achieve a target temperature rise.

Attachments

• HeaterCalculator.zip
    14.7 KB · Views: 3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.