Lots of excess water

Aug 26, 2008
I just bought a house with an inground pool. I have not had a pool before and need help. Live in the southeast and getting a lot of rain from Fay. The pool is almost ready to overflow and not sure how to get the excess water out? I was told when we bought the house the pool was put in about 11yrs ago and has a DE Filter system. I looked at it last night and seen several positions on the multiport valve. I seen rinse,backwash,waste,recir. .. Which one is best for me..
Thanks

Welcome to the forum. If you need to quickly drain some water from your pool, the "waste" position will work nicely. It will take water from the pool, thru the pump and out the multi-port valve (that's where your handle is....either on top of the filter or on the side of the filter). It will probably exit thru a drain pipe buried somewhere where the excess will run off.

Once your water is at the proper level, you'll need to do a lot of reading up in pool school to get a good grip on how to keep your pool clean. If you ignore it for any length of tyime, you'll soon have a green swamp that will cost you a lot of money to get cleared up.

Thanks for the quick response. One more question for you then. If I run it thru waste that will not go thru the filter at all. Have been reading about this DE filters about having to add DE after backwash and all. This way I wont have to add DE right?
Thanks

That' correct, pumping to waste will by-pass the filter.
I always turn the pump off when changing the valve position then restart.
I also open the air bleed on the filter when ever I make a change or am passing by
it for that matter.

JB :monkey:

I open the air bleed to remove any trapped pockets of air in the filter. Especially before I add DE, this will make sure the whole grid gets coated. If half the filter has an air bubble in then you only have half the surface area of the filter grid working.It's like blowing up a balloon in side the filter,just takes up room.
A lot of times you'll get air when your vacuuming and you gulp some air or your skimmer door sticks and you gulp some air, even when I'm changing valve positions I get a little air. I rather have the filter working at full capicity.

jb :monkey:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.