Mollyj

Nov 14, 2014
Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, my test kit arrived and I've managed to get a few things sorted in my little pool. One thing is the cloudy water is a persistent problem. Here are my latest test results from this morning:

FC - 3.5
CC - .5
PH - 8
TA - 110
CH - 0

I am now using Hy Clor Liquid Chlorine which has 125gms/litre (12.5% available chlorine) - 800ml was added last night, the recommended daily dose is 200ml

I did add 500 ml of Hy Clor liquid stabilizer to up the CYA - (active constituent is Monosodium Cyanurate monohydrate) The recommended dose for 25000 litres was 2.5 litres, my pool holds approximately 10000 hence the 500ml.

I'm going to add another does of liquid chlorine now and see if that helps. My filter is running constantly from 10am when the sun hits the pool right round until 7ish in the evening. I do have it covered to stop stuff falling in it but the cover is a mesh and sunlight still gets through.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the replies, the CYA is still showing as 0, sorry, I should have put that in my first post.

I'm using the Taylor K2006 test kit, I think I'm doing it right, it says to add the two chemicals to the small sample bottle and then empty that into the small test tube until you can't see the dot. I'm assuming the water is supposed to be cloudy for that test but mine is perfectly clear and even filled up I can still see the black dot.

I've read quite a few topics re cloudy water and CYA on here and most of them say that it can take up to a week to register.

I added 550ml of the liquid chlorine last night as per the pool math calculator, it also said to add another 811ml of stabiliser - I really wanted more advice before adding more.

Just tested the water again and here are the results:
FC - 3.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.8 - 8 ( I think I'm a bit colour blind :) )
TA - 120
CH - 0
CYA - 0

If you're in the SLAM process, the 18 CYA calculated is fine. You just need to maintain 10 FC until you pass all three tests. Note that when it says the water is clear consider that after brushing! Once the SLAM is done, then you'll want to raise it to something more like 50 CYA.

Sorry again, the CH should have read CYA - 0 the CH is (or was) 220

I have gone back printed out and re-read the SLAM info, now I see what it means to keep the level up to 10 - my mistake.

FC - 11.5
CC - 0
PH - 8
TA - 120
CYA still 0
CH - didn't test this time

I'll go out and brush the sides again tonight and put the vacuum in tomorrow morning. According to the pool maths I need to now add 42gms of dry acid and 326ml of liquid stabiliser which I'll do now.

Thanks for your help, sorry to be such a wally - when that test kit arrived I thought all my problems would be over - silly me.

ETA - so I found out why there is no CYA reading. When pouring it into the jug for measuring the first time, all that was poured in was clear liquid - the bottle needed shaking up to mix it DOH! It wasn't me pouring it in so I don't feel that stupid. All sorted now, shook the bottle, measured out the required amount as er pool math chart and hopefully in the morning I will get a reading.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Richard, this is such a learning curve - chemistry wasn't on my list of subjects at school, the tests are all making sense now - although I think reordering the refills is going to be expensive :) It's great to have almost instant advice though, you guys are soooo helpful :)

Todays results are:

FC - 8 going to add more chlorine now
CC - 0
PH - 7.8
TA - 110
CH - 320
CYA - still showing 0 - might be because I didn't add enough yesterday - not going to add anymore today, I'll just stick with the liquid chlorine.

The good news is that the pool is already looking cleaner - today is a bit cooler so I'll vacuum, brush the sides and put my net cover on. By tomorrow, I'm hoping to see the bottom again.

Keep up with the SLAM Ms Molly and your pool will clear. It takes time and a good brushing every day while in the SLAM process. I like to brush my pool twice a week when the pool is looking it's best. It helps get the fine sediment off the floor and walls, and then I'll vac the next day. If you're still showing zero CYA in a few days, you can add more CYA to get that up. Good Luck! :cool:

Thanks Casey, it's hard not to get despondent when the water is still so cloudy. I've had the pump running constantly every day, vacuumed today, brushed the sides and bottom again this morning and am keeping the FC up to 10 - thats the hard bit with the sun shining. Fingers crossed that it looks clearer tomorrow.

I'm so going to keep a closer eye on things from now on.

With 0 CYA in your pool, the SLAM process will consume your FC voraciously and will make it tough to get your pool clear.

1. Have you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School? Do you understand the purpose of CYA?

2. Have you used Poolmath to calculate the dosage of CYA and bring it up to around 30 ppm?

3. How much CYA have you put in your pool to this point? What do you think your CYA should be?

I did add more liquid stabiliser to the pool last night as per poolmath. This morning the FC was showing as 15, now thought, with the cover off, a top up of water and pump going all day, it is looking a little clearer.

FC - 10
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
TA - 100
CH - Didn't test this time
CYA - is still below 30

I have read Pool School and feel like I'm drowning in information. I've also read heaps of topics on members with cloudy water and most of them say that it can take a while for the CYA to show up.

From my understanding this is what my levels should be after the pool is clear:

with Bleach
FC 3-7 (See chart)
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 70-90+
CH 0-350 (Don't add)
CYA 30-50

I think I've been underestimating the amount needed - Poolmaths says to add 268ml of stabiliser and 200ml 12.5% bleach - so that's what I'll do. I just re read the pool school topic on CYA and now understand that a lot of direct sunlight can make a whole heap of difference - we get a lot of sun on the pool all day. (temps over 30degC all this week)

I'm also running out of the chemical to test the CYA - is there another way of testing it ? I'll re order more today but it will take a while to arrive from the US.

- - - Updated - - -

I do have DE - two big 5kg bags (we use it to help with flea control with our cats) although it is the food grade one, so maybe too fine. Also, is it likely to make the pool cloudier?

Your CYA level should be pretty accurate within 24 hours with the pump running since your using the liquid form. It's the granular form that can take sometime to fully register on the test. Would you say your CYA level is close to 20 ?
Yes the info can be a little overwhelming at first, but you seem to have an understanding of where your levels should be when your pool gets cleared up.
Don't use the food grade DE. Use pool grade DE if you decide to try adding it to your filter. It's not a must do. Your sand filter is up to the task.

Your total amount of liquid CYA you have put in the pool should be around 800 ml. That'll get you 30 ppm....how much have you put in?

If you have added measured doses, you don't need to test but rather can assume your CYA is, in fact 30 ppm.

Skip the DE for now.....it's only going to confuse you further.

FC 3-7 (See chart)
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 70-90+
CH 0-350 (Don't add)
CYA 30-50

Those are good values. Keep your FC up, run your pump 24/7, backwash as necessary and your pool will continue to clear.

Thanks folks, it's all really helpful advice and I do feel like I'm getting a grip on it now. The pool was looking much better yesterday - until I brushed the walls lol

The confusing thing with the stabiliser was adding the clear liquid (bottle not shaken) so I thought that 500ml had been added, when in fact nothing had, so that wasted time and testing stuff. I have since added 562ml as that was what the pool math showed, should I add more?

Today's readings:

FC - 11.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
TA - 120
CH - 300
CYA - tested using a test strip this morning (I know, not accurate but I've run out of the liquid tester) it shows between 20 and 30.

Think I'm making headway.Just a couple more questions -
should I add more stabiliser?
should I add more liquid chlorine this morning?
Should I be worried about eh TA being 120?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.