All New Equipment, Need Advice and Help Please

sag365

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2015
Ft. Myers, FL
Hello from a newbie,

After being in our home for a year, which was originally built in 1983, we have decided to take the plunge, no pun intended, and invest in all new pool/spa equipment, and actually have a spa, not a glorified waterfall!

The pool measures 29'x14' (without the spa portion and entry steps at shallow end) and is about 4.5' deep at the center. There are five eyeballs in the spa and spa drain, and four eyeballs in the pool with skimmer and main drain. The spa overflows into the pool as shown in the pics. Existing plumbing is 1.5" Figured the pool and spa is about 16k gallons max.

We have a poured a new 4'x4' slab for the pool heater, Step 1. Now comes the fun part. Below is a list of equipment we have selected: (a new 220v sub panel is being installed)

Pump: Pentair IntellifloXF
Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear RP Cartridge 200 sq. ft.
Heater: Aquacal T115
Chlorinator: Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital Nano
Equipment control: Zodiac AquaLink Z4 w/iAquaLink

So here are the questions:

1) Since the Pentair Intelliflo is 3HP, are the existing 1.5" PVC pipes adequate? Since it is variable speed, maybe it is not an issue. Or should I go with the Intelliflo I1 which is 1HP?

2) Is the Zodiac Aqualink a good choice for automation considering the pump is VS Pentair? Or should I go with Pentair automation?

Any other observations or advice is welcomes and appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The XF pump is overkill, especially for your smaller pipes. The I1 is going to be too small for the spa (and there are many different pumps I would recommend before that one if you could get by with the smaller VS pump). Likely the normal Intelliflo VS will work for you, still a little bigger than you likely need, but there are not many options that would work for a spa in the VS pumps.

What is the volume of the pool? Likely we would recommend a filter even larger than the 200 sqft, especially given the desire for high flow rates for the spa.

Likely better off with the Pentair Automation, although I think there is an adapter you can buy for the Jandy to work with the Intelliflo. Although if you were going with Pentair for the pump and automation, seems like you should go with the Pentair SWG as well for better integration. That said, there is not real need for you to have any automation at all if you are will to just turn 2 valves and flip on the heater to run the spa.

I see 3 suction lines. Obviously one is for the spa drain, but what are the other 2?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Be aware that to post more/larger pictures, you either need to raise your storage allotment by Becoming a TFP Supporter or follow the How To Post Pictures tutorial.

Thanks for the welcome.

The pool/spa is about 16k gallons. Other than spa drain, there is MD and Skimmer.

The Pentair Intelliflo VS is still 3HP. I thought the only difference between it and the XF was new better design/efficiency.

Thanks.

The XF is going to cost more and with the small pipes, you will not be able to take advantage of the higher flow rates it can achieve anyway ... and you do not need that high of a flow rate. (honest very few pool would ever need a pump that big). You could certainly get by with a smaller 2-speed pump that used high for the spa and low for general circulation. Also realize that VS pumps are more susceptible to lightning damage. Being in FL, you should get surge protection for the pump if you get a VS pump.

For 16k and with a spa, I would suggest at least a 250 sqft cartridge filter. Honestly, you can not go too big ... just reduces how often you have to clean it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.