Normal for DE to be in pump strainer atfter shutdown?

Joe,

This is a complete guess but it makes sense that if you see DE, the water in your system is "backing up" when you turn off the pump.

The only way I can see that occuring is if you have an air leak (probably tiny since it doesn't lose prime) somewhere in the system.

Thanks for the responses. Upon further reflection, I think I know what is happening.

The original PB did not use any check valves in the system. I have a spa that is higher than my pool. When I shut the pump off the water tries to equalize and pushes backwards from my spa return through my pool returns and main drain/skimmer resulting in the DE in my pump. Sound possible? I bought a check valve prior to noticing this problem, just haven't installed it yet.

In the morning the pump basket is still full of water so I don't think I have a leak. Also when I installed the filter I literally weighed out the DE. I have heard of adding 80% of the suggested amount though.

Sound reasonable?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.