Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Normal for DE to be in pump strainer atfter shutdown?

1. Back To Top    #1

Normal for DE to be in pump strainer atfter shutdown?

Hi All,
    My pump is on a timer and at shutdown DE backs up into the pump strainer. I know this because the water inside the pump housing is milky white. Is this normal?

Thanks,
    Joe
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2

I never saw that happen when I had a DE filter.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Joe,

This is a complete guess but it makes sense that if you see DE, the water in your system is "backing up" when you turn off the pump.

The only way I can see that occuring is if you have an air leak (probably tiny since it doesn't lose prime) somewhere in the system.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks for the responses. Upon further reflection, I think I know what is happening.

The original PB did not use any check valves in the system. I have a spa that is higher than my pool. When I shut the pump off the water tries to equalize and pushes backwards from my spa return through my pool returns and main drain/skimmer resulting in the DE in my pump. Sound possible? I bought a check valve prior to noticing this problem, just haven't installed it yet.

In the morning the pump basket is still full of water so I don't think I have a leak. Also when I installed the filter I literally weighed out the DE. I have heard of adding 80% of the suggested amount though.

Sound reasonable?
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

5. Back To Top    #5

Joe the answer is YES

(when I get a little free time - I'll post the URLs to my pool forum responses that are also showing up here )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)