Wall Whale XL Vs. Sweep Ease -- A quick comparison

zethacat

LifeTime Supporter
I'd seen some comments on Amazon about the Wall Whale to the effect that the manufacturer is not good about warrantying it past 30 days, so when I noticed a crack developing on the fin of mine on day 28, I contacted Amazon and they offered me a full refund without even needing to send it back. I used that refund money to purchase the Sweep Ease and now I have both. The Wall Whale still works like new but if the crack manages to make it's way to the other side of the fin it will surely snap off.

It might not surprise you to hear that the Wall Whale is very easy to brush the walls of the pool with. However, it is considerably more difficult to brush the bottom of the pool with in comparison to a standard brush or even the Sweep Ease. Once you get a groove going it becomes much easier and is a good arms workout. Brushing down the wall and then transitioning to the floor is not the best way to use it unless you enjoy pain or have big arms. Instead, you should brush the walls and steps first, then brush the floor separately. It's not the fin getting in the way that's the problem; it's that the closer to the edge of the floor you begin at, the more of an angle you need and the more difficult it will be to gain momentum. Brushing from the middle of the floor to the opposite wall is the easiest way to brush the floor with the least amount of effort. Even then, I frequently find myself standing sideways and pushing with both arms. I would highly recommend the XL version, which is what I have. I hope mine will last at least one season because it is uncontestably my favorite brush. When it breaks I will definitely buy another one. Hopefully the manufacturer has been busy working on improving the design.

The Sweep Ease is not much better than the cheap brush I got from my PB. I will give it credit where credit is due: it does hold itself against the wall and floor better than a standard brush, but by so little in comparison to the Wall Whale that it doesn't give me any sense of accomplishment. In contrast, the Wall Whale makes you feel like you brushed every molecule of plaster, depriving anything but the toughest calcium scale from hiding in even the tiniest pore in the plaster. You will pat yourself on the back every time you use it. I even use it after adding chemicals to the pool. One or two good sweeps across the floor creates enough of a disturbance to thoroughly mix anything I just poured in there.

In summary the Wall Whale is a far superior brush.. it just isn't manufactured very well and may wind up needing to be replaced more often than the competition. Then again, from what I understand, most brushes only last one or two seasons anyway. After a certain number of uses all brushes effectively become the equivalent of driving in the snow with bald tires.

Re: Wall Whale Vs. Sweep Ease -- A quick comparison

I have had the regular wall whale for about 5 years. I leave it sitting outside in the sun and have not noticed any cracking. The brush did start to fall apart after about 3 years and last year I bought a mixed stainless/nylon brush head and moved the whale tail over to the new brush.

I think this is the first time I have seen a recommendation for the XL version. Previous discussions seemed to indicate that it was almost too big and required too much effort. I wonder if the XL is more prone to the cracking you mention.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.