bbrock

Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have an older finish on my plaster IG pool. It already one spot where it delaminated. I am watching and maintaining the water chemistry so as to extend the life of this plaster job for as long as possible. One day we'll resurface, with what, who knows. Anyhow, I was brushing yesterday and my pole snapped, and the clips/prongs on my pool brush broke. The old brush was here when I bought the home. It was all nylon. I am in the market place for a new brush (and maybe pole but I have a backup pole here).

I learned here that I should be using a combo brush (aluminum or stainless steel with nylon). Is this really going to do anything drastically different vs. if I just again went with a nylon bristle? Also, wouldn't the stainless steel bristles in the combo brush be a problem in the delaminated area? The plaster had fallen off in this area and I am concerned the bristles on a combo brush would be too aggressive. Also, wouldn't the combo bristles be too aggressive on the tile at the water line? I brush the wall from the coping down. I wouldn't want to scratch up my tiles with the stainless steel in the combo brush.

Some of the brushes I have looked at are:
The Wall Whale has gotten good reviews but I am very skeptical of its benefits on the stairs. Definitely seems like the tail will get in the way, which would not be worth it then. http://www.amazon.com/The-Wall-Whale-Classic-Swimming/dp/B004VU92KE/ref=zg_bs_1272984011_14

Another brush I saw was the Sweepease http://www.amazon.com/SweepEase-654...-18-Inch/dp/B00LA3Y82M/ref=zg_bs_1272984011_2. It is a combo brush, and looks like it could work on stairs and not have a tail get in the way. I question this brush though simply b/c it has combo bristles and I'm concerned about my delaminated area.

If neither of the above, I saw traditional nylon bristle brush this that seems good enough:
http://www.amazon.com/Poolmaster-20...ection/dp/B0017SUEE6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Any input on my questions would be really helpful. Thanks.

Ended up getting a Wall Whale regular size/non-XL. This brush is awesome! I actually never thought I would say this, but now I actually don't mind brushing b/c this brush does such a great job. Sticks to the walls very good. I keep it on medium setting and am able to brush the walls well and then brush the bottom without problems as well. After I get the steps, sometimes I brush all around then go to the bottom, but other times I brush the walls and transition the stroke to the bottom. Still possible with this brush, even at medium setting. Little more resistance on the bottom of the pool, but not unmanageable by all means.

Great brush! Thanks TFPers for the recommendation.

I hope it takes some time before the bristles fall out b/c I have a small round area of delamination on my plaster that I don't think would be hold up against the mixed nylon/stainless. Wouldn't that affect things?

Ok.

Yea, my plan about a year ago was to start managing the pool myself using the TFP way. My theory was if I could get the water chemistry dialed in, then I could extend however much life I have left in my plaster. It is only a small area (maybe a 2' diameter circle) that delam'ed, but I don't want it to happen anymore. So far so good by keeping the chem in line, of course with all the great help I have received at TFP.

If the plaster is that bad at this point, you might be able to extend it for a couple of years with good chemistry and careful brushing but be aware that a re-plaster is around the corner. I am in that same position as you. My 22 year old pool (38L gal IG) has plaster coming off like mad despite my best efforts and next month I am going to have to pull the trigger on a re-plaster. Not happy to spend 8K on it, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Just replaced my System 3 filter with a Pentair Quad 60 and will get a new Raypak 2100 to replace my old Raypak 2100. Also will upgrade to Pentair Easy Touch upgrade for my Compool LX10.

Getting so bad that I have to empty my pump basket every day to dump out all the plaster rocks! Sucks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.