New Pool Build - Marietta, GA

FLgirl

Sep 4, 2014
Marietta, Ga
Hi,

I have been reading lots of posts on here and looking at as many pictures as possible. We have been planning our pool build for several months now and excavation day is just around the corner 1/29/15!!! I will try to post as many pictures as possible as all of your pictures have been helpful to see. Below is the computer generated view of the pool, without the fireplace. We are still trying to decide on Pebble Sheen finish. Originally going to go with Blue Granite, but don't want the gray steps. Would love to see pools with Bordeaux Pebble Sheen and Turtle Bay Pebble Sheen! soluri 4_004.jpgsoluri Pre layout_001.jpgsoluri Pre layout_002.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Fireplace will go approximately where the fire pit is in the picture.

Hi!
That looks like a great pool and I know you're excited to get started!

We will be here with popcorn and a coke..uh..errr.. I mean margarita, (or other refreshment) anticipating the upcoming feature attraction of your new backyard!

Good Luck with it!

Ok, so some progress has finally been made since my initial post. We had to wait on some crews to "catch up" from the rain a few weeks ago. Today they finished the plumbing and steel. We are schedule for gunite this coming Monday if the weather cooperates. I've uploaded some pictures to a Flickr account. I'm going to post the link below, so hopefully it works. There are some pictures of the yard. We had some trees removed and luckily we were able to save our maple by moving it :smile: There are a few more of the progress so far…

https://www.flickr.com/photos/18128850@N00/with/16281336247

So, how many of you have an umbrella in your sun ledge? My PB doesn't think they're a great idea. Of course he'll put one in if I want, but I can tell he doesn't think it's a good idea. I would appreciate any feedback. I envision myself sitting in a chair on the ledge under the umbrella, wine in hand, relaxing while the kiddos play….

Your pool get what you want.

Unless he can PROVE why they are not a good idea.............

I wonder if he thinks they will "hold" algae since it might be hard to have good water flow into and out of them. Tell him you will get a turkey baster and shoot some chlorine into them once a week or so.

Kim

He said that he's heard many people end up not using them as they don't always block the sun as well as people think they will. My husband and I could just tell from how he answered that he's not really a fan. We get full sun in our backyard during the summer, so I think it will work fine. I was just wondering what you all have done and your thoughts. Thanks!

Kim- Does yours get a lot of algae? I didn't think about that…..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do not have one as I have an above ground pool. I was just trying to guess why he does not like them.

I really do not think it will be a problem. Will you have a return on the sunshelf or close by to move the water there? THAT should take care of it. IF you see a problem just shoot some chlorine in it every once in a while.

I can see why you would want one. Just think..............sitting under it with a cool drink in your hand relaxing but not burning up in the sun. If I had a pool likes yours I would have one for sure! Just make sure to get an umbrella that can tilt so you can angle it to block the sun.

Kim

He said that he's heard many people end up not using them as they don't always block the sun as well as people think they will. My husband and I could just tell from how he answered that he's not really a fan. We get full sun in our backyard during the summer, so I think it will work fine. I was just wondering what you all have done and your thoughts. Thanks!

Kim- Does yours get a lot of algae? I didn't think about that…..

His statements are somewhat accurate about the sun protection and possible lack of use but we have used ours on occasion, better to have the option than not, the only downside is the visual of the screw on cover. Never had any algae problems.

With the layout of our yard (our back yard faces North, meaning that the afternoon sun beats down on our patio/pool area), we opted to go with a standalone umbrella rather than a built in sleeve in the tanning ledge. The umbrella swivels and tilts, giving us near infinite options for providing shade for the whole pool or patio area. Given the location of our tanning ledge, that would have only shaded a small area (and only early in the day). Just something to consider when making your final decision...

Edit:
Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. In this configuration, it will shade the pool in the afternoon. I can also swivel it around towards the patio if I wish to shade that area.

16485047235_b94f23d9e3_b.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.