pH is high after SPA heating cycle

Sep 4, 2013
Hello All,
Thanks in advance for you help. I've just started up my SPA and trying to balance pH and TA before I pour in the start up bromine and stuff. I got the TA and pH to desired level but pH is high after SPA heating cycle. I've set my SPA to heat (slow speed) between 9PM and 6AM, and when I check the following day, pH is really red. TA is at same level. Why is pH doing this? I know about the aerate increasing pH but none of the jets are above the water line. I use acid to lower pH to 7.2, but it goes high again after SPA heating cycle. TA is good. I can't keep adding acid everyday because acid will also lower TA and then I need to add baking soda to raise TA and it's just a infinite loop. Please help. Thank you.

Welcome to TFP!

What is your TA? Assuming this is a stand alone spa, you TA is probably too high. The ideal TA for a stand alone spa is the highest TA where what you describe does not happen.

TA is 80. This is above ground SPA, I filled it about 360 gallons. As I remember, Taylor test kit recommends TA range from 80-140

TA is 80. This is above ground SPA, I filled it about 360 gallons. As I remember, Taylor test kit recommends TA range from 80-140
Play with poolmath a little. See how lower TA decreases the acid demand to effect a certain pH change. And then on a practical note: adjust pH. Keep adjusting it. You will notice over a few weeks that as TA drops, acid demand drops, and pH remains in range for longer periods of time. That's the sweet spot. Who cares if it's 65 or 100; every pool/spa has a unique personality. If pH holds steady at a certain TA, that's where you want it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.