Cartridge filter losing flow after minutes.

May 23, 2011
I have a 24' round above ground pool. 1.5hp pump with a Pentair clean and clean 150 and been using the bleach method for two years with great results. This winter I let the pool go and had a some algae at the bottom so I started by sweeping the bottom and walks and throwing in bleach, normally I canpass the over night test within a week this time it's different. After a week the pool is blue but still cloudy. CYA was 25 and I felt my chlorine levels right at 20. But my biggest concern is the pool filter will have great flow out the return then within 20 mins it'll slow way down. So I'll take the filter out and clean and then same results. Yesterday I took it out and soaked it in TSP for a couple hours then rinsed really good then acid washed the filter. Reinstalled and same results. Filter is only 3 years old and when I first started the pool that filter had 2psi (3 years ago) now this year with mutiple cleanings I can't get it below 14psi. Do I need a new filter? The bands are broke on the filter but the filter itself has no tears or anything. It looks clean, no stains or anything. Past two years I would only clean the filter just because I wanted to make sure it was clean. Which was about 2x times a year, it would never have a pressure increase. My pool doesn't get much debris. I have noticed that it is slimy in between the pleats of the filter and even after acid washing it's still their? Pool is still cloudy, could the slime be the dead algae I killed in the pool? Or should I just keep throwing bleach in it with the low flow on the filter system?

Guess I'll start the SLAM process again just not sure how well it's working being the filter needs cleaning after 5 mins. Hate to put a new filter in and clog that one too. So I'll start the slam process again and just clean the filter once a day and see if I make any headway. I'll report back through the process

Yes, but If you'd be best bumping it overnight and never let it come below shock level during the day, sunlight breaks down the chlorine also.

Cut and Paste from: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shocking
Higher FC levels will oxidize contaminates more quickly, but levels that are too high can cause damage to the pool or the pool equipment. Recommended shock levels are designed to break down contaminates reasonably quickly while posing minimal risk to the pool. It is impossible to know in advance just how much chlorine will be required to SLAM the pool. Instead, chlorine is added to maintain shock level until testing shows that the process is complete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think that slime you're feeling inside the pleats is your main issue. I would acid wash again. If you see it react and you get foam fluffing out from between the pleats, then you know you are getting rid of stuff you need to get rid of.

I have seen the exact same thing happen because of what you are describing. You're cleaning stuff off that was sitting on top of that slimy layer, but that slimy layer is still going to inhibit flow as if the filter was completely dirty. The less bare paper you can feel going from the outside of the pleats in, the more useless the filters are gonna be. If you have the knowledge or the means to see what your flow rate is, it would help you understand just how bad those filters are affecting performance.

Yah after soaking it in TSP for hours then rinsing really good then I soaked it in acid for about 30-40 mins did not see any foaming at all. I put it back in the pool and it only took a few mins. Before flow slowed again. I did something your not suppose to after that and hit it with the pressure washer and helped a little but still have the problem.

Yah after soaking it in TSP for hours then rinsing really good then I soaked it in acid for about 30-40 mins did not see any foaming at all. I put it back in the pool and it only took a few mins. Before flow slowed again. I did something your not suppose to after that and hit it with the pressure washer and helped a little but still have the problem.

I guess you're just picking up new live algae real fast like bobo said. I always make a point to peek and feel between the pleats before they go back in. If you still have a full load of slime on them then you will have filtering issues like what you described.

Pool is getting better each day, no more slime in the filter. Can see the whole bottom of the floor of the pool but slightly cloudy so I'm still slamming it. Even without the slime it still losing flow after about a half hour after cleaning. Like I said brand new it ran at 3-4 psi and now running at 12-14 after cleaning so I'll see if it gets any better when SLAM process is finished, may just be time for a new filter. Will update

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.