Pool Quote - Please Review & Input

ErikU19

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2012
So we are down to the final negotiations with our most preferred builder. Very similar to a previous quote with the exception that this builder uses Hayward equipment.

Let me know if yall have any input/suggestions.

Thank you!

POOL
POOL SIZE: 15’ X 49’
PERIMETER: 144 LN.FT.
AREA: 773 SQ.FT.
BENCH : 2
STEPS : 2
DEPTH : 3 ½’ – 6 – 3 ½’
TILE : 2” X 2” Frost Proof Decorative Tile. Tile markers on steps and benches.
COPING : 1’ of TRAVERTINE AROUND ENTIRE POOL
PLASTER : PEBBLE TEC/PEBBLE SHEE – TIER # 1
DECK : 1000 SQ.FT. OF TRAVERTINE TILE (CEMENT BASE), VERSAILLE PATTERN, WITH ALL DRAINAGE

STRUCTURE INFORMATION
LIFETIME GUNITE SHELL WARRANTY THAT IS TRANSFERABLE TO FUTURE OWNER.
STEEL REINFORCEMENT: 12”x18” Bond Beam – 4 Bars #4 (1/2”) continuous. Walls and Floor - #3(3/8”) 8” on center.
GUNITE : Walls and Floor minimum 9” thick. Gunite Bond Beam 12” x 18”
PLUMBING : 40 LN.FT. Heavy wall Schedule 40 PVC pipe size 2” for all out lines and 1 ½” in return lines. Gas Line connection if required.
SKIMMERS: 2
RETURNS: 10
MAIN DRAINS: 2

POOL EQUIPMENT
FILTER: 525SF CARTRIDGE
CHLORINATOR : YES – INLINE
OZONATOR : ULTRAPURE
PUMP : ECOSTAR-VARIABLE
POOL LIGHT : 2 COLORLOGIC (LED)
CLEANER : POOL VAC ULTRA

SPA
SIZE :TRIANGLE SPA 12’ X 8 ½’ – RAISED 18” – 13 FT. LONG SPILLWAY – ALL EXTERIOR COVERED WITH FLAGSTONE LEDGESTONE.
SPA PLUMBING
JETS : 8 (4 ARE ROTATING)
MAIN DRAINS : 2
RETURNS : 8
SPA EQUIPMENT
HEATER : 400,000 BTU’S
BLOWER : 2 HP
SPA LIGHT : 1 COLORLOGIC

CONTROL SYSTEM : PROLOGIC PS-8 + AQUACONNECT REMOTE POOL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM + AQUAPOD REMOTE CONTROL

TANNING SHELF : 12’ X 8’ INCLUDES 1 LED BUBBLER + 3 BUBBLERS ON BENCHES

RAISED WALLS : 24 FT. LONG 18” RAISED + 27 FT. LONG 12” RAISED. FRONT COVERED WITH LEDGESTONE. INCLUDES 4 – 48” SHEER DESCENTS + 1 HP TRISTAR PUMP.

Price does include the following :
Homeowner Association , City and any other required permits.
Demo : Remove and haul away 512 sq.ft. of existing concrete patio, fire pit, planters and pergola
Sewer and Water stubout for future kitchen/bathroom
Removal and Re-installation of Fence for construction access.
Replace any damaged grass. Repair & Cap any damaged sprinklers
Test Kit, Brush, Net, Telescopic Pole, Hose & Vacuum Head
Final Clean up.Start Up.

Pool1.jpg

Layout1.jpg

That looks very nice. The equipment choices all look good except for the ozonator, which I recommend strongly against. Ozone adds nothing to a residential pool and is just another thing that needs attention and maintenance.

Just a few non-pool questions:

1) It looks like the back wall in the 3D rendering does not match the schematic. Maybe it's just the angle of the rendering, but they will go by the schematic, not the rendering, so I would double-check that.
2) Not sure how wide the back is between the pool and wall, but we have about five feet. If you are planting behind it you will definitely want to have enough room for pruning equipment (saws etc). Looks like you won't have an enclosure, but you'll definitely want to make sure you have enough room to get back there (and enough of a vertex if you are planning to put lighting back there.
3) The test kit, brush, etc I got with my pool was very low quality. You can do much better on your own. Not sure if they will adjust the price, but I ended up throwing my test kit away after getting the tf100 with the Taylor K1000. Much easier to read and much much more granular testing.
4) I don't know enough about the ozonator. I got sold one, but the overwhelming majority on here say there is no need (found this forum after I signed my contract).
5) You may want to ask about how low the sun shelf with be and how they will be doing the bubblers if lower than 12 inches. While I have only heard second-hand, the telescopic ones seem to be problematic and a bit of a maintenance nightmare. Unfortunately we only learned this from the builder (and verified with others) AFTER the contract was signed.

I love our sun shelf (without bubblers)...if you guys enjoy the beach you will probably spend a lot of time there. :)

Looks like a great design. Good luck and keep us posted.

Re: Pool Quote - Please Review & Input

Hey ITR,

I'm pretty sure it's just the angle of the rendering

The easement is 7ft

The tanning shelf is 1ft deep.

Just a few non-pool questions:

1) It looks like the back wall in the 3D rendering does not match the schematic. Maybe it's just the angle of the rendering, but they will go by the schematic, not the rendering, so I would double-check that.
2) Not sure how wide the back is between the pool and wall, but we have about five feet. If you are planting behind it you will definitely want to have enough room for pruning equipment (saws etc). Looks like you won't have an enclosure, but you'll definitely want to make sure you have enough room to get back there (and enough of a vertex if you are planning to put lighting back there.
3) The test kit, brush, etc I got with my pool was very low quality. You can do much better on your own. Not sure if they will adjust the price, but I ended up throwing my test kit away after getting the tf100 with the Taylor K1000. Much easier to read and much much more granular testing.
4) I don't know enough about the ozonator. I got sold one, but the overwhelming majority on here say there is no need (found this forum after I signed my contract).
5) You may want to ask about how low the sun shelf with be and how they will be doing the bubblers if lower than 12 inches. While I have only heard second-hand, the telescopic ones seem to be problematic and a bit of a maintenance nightmare. Unfortunately we only learned this from the builder (and verified with others) AFTER the contract was signed.

I love our sun shelf (without bubblers)...if you guys enjoy the beach you will probably spend a lot of time there. :)

Looks like a great design. Good luck and keep us posted.

- - - Updated - - -

$80,000 with stub outs and sewer for kitchen

Houston, TX

What price are they quoting? Location?

First of all, very nice looking pool. I'm envy you guys in the Houston area because i'm positive i couldn't get a pool and all that extra work done for 80,000 bucks. PB's in the Houston area must be killing each other.

Very nice design! From the list, I would caution on just two items:

4 waterfalls will be a lot of white noise. Given the direction and height of the walls, it would be too much for me personally.

The 13' spillway is gorgeous. Check the pump specs to ensure that you're not running the VS at high speed all time to achieve the spillover effect, otherwise you lose the savings impact of going with VS pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will inquire about the Spillover.

Thanks for the suggestions - I appreciate it.

Very nice design! From the list, I would caution on just two items:

4 waterfalls will be a lot of white noise. Given the direction and height of the walls, it would be too much for me personally.

The 13' spillway is gorgeous. Check the pump specs to ensure that you're not running the VS at high speed all time to achieve the spillover effect, otherwise you lose the savings impact of going with VS pump.

Per the pool builder the Pool & Spa are on the same pump (VS Hayward).

So spillover will depend upon the pump speed - low spillover on lower speeds - higher spillover on higher speeds.

Is Spa/Pool generally controlled separately or in joint like this?

I would think having spam/spill over functionality controlled independently would be more ideal.

Is Spa/Pool generally controlled separately or in joint like this?

I would think having spam/spill over functionality controlled independently would be more ideal.

Disclaimer first...I have only been researching pools for less than a year, but this is pretty typical. The way our pool was designed is that the returns can be adjusted between pool and spa. You can have both, or either one. On our pool we are satisfied and it produces enough flow for both pool and spa returns at the same time.

The pool and spa can be designed with one pump (fully shared), two pumps where one pump can do either pool or spa and the other is dedicated to the spa jets (partially shared), or two completely independent pumps, one for the pool and one for the spa (fully separate). Fully shared is very common these days, especially when using a variable speed pump. It costs less to install and works well on all but the largest/most complex spas. Partially shared is typically used when the spa has lots of jets, which need a lot of power. Fully separate is quite rare as it costs the most and requires more complex chemical maintenance.

Re: Pool Quote - Please Review & Input

Thanks for the detailed reply Jason.

I assume 8 jets is typical/smaller side and I should be fine.

The pool and spa can be designed with one pump (fully shared), two pumps where one pump can do either pool or spa and the other is dedicated to the spa jets (partially shared), or two completely independent pumps, one for the pool and one for the spa (fully separate). Fully shared is very common these days, especially when using a variable speed pump. It costs less to install and works well on all but the largest/most complex spas. Partially shared is typically used when the spa has lots of jets, which need a lot of power. Fully separate is quite rare as it costs the most and requires more complex chemical maintenance.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

Disclaimer first...I have only been researching pools for less than a year, but this is pretty typical. The way our pool was designed is that the returns can be adjusted between pool and spa. You can have both, or either one. On our pool we are satisfied and it produces enough flow for both pool and spa returns at the same time.

8 jets is what I would call medium, and yes should be fine with a single fully shared pump.

I think your pump is perfect for the pool / spa jets; however, I would definitely have the PB *show you* a pool with a 13' spillover and the same spec pump to ensure the spillover works as you expect. Some people prefer the waterfall effect vs trickle, so be sure you know which you should experience.

Thanks Guys.

Supposed to sign on Wednesday.

What it a typical pay schedule? Here is the initial schedule in the first contract.

Signed Contract = 2%
Excavation = 40%
Prior To Tile & Coping = 25%
Prior To Decking = 15.5%
Prior To Patio Extension = 10%
When Finished = 7.5%

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.