Leave Cleaner in Pool

Jan 20, 2015
Las Vegas
Hello all-

I'm a newbie to this whole pool thing - so this may be a dumb question. However, is it appropriate to leave the pool cleaner in the pool when it's not running? If so, how long is appropriate?

I have a 2-wheel Poolverneugen "The Pool Cleaner" (works wonderfully).

Thanks!

I previously had a Polaris 280 and my PB said I could keep it in the water as long as I wanted....just take it out when we want to swim.

However, in the first 2 years I had it, it went back to the shop for complete rebuilds on 3 separate occasions. On the 3rd time, the lady at the pool store said "You must keep this in your pool all the time. These things break down more frequently when you do that."

I don't know if I believe her (and other people probably have different perspectives), but if I were to do it all again, I would probably take it out when I didn't need it. Just my $0.02 worth....

I only take mine out when multiple people/kids will be swimming. I like it to run for an hour every day - I tend to be pretty picky about the bottom of the pool being clean. I've been through 1 year so far with no issues... Polaris 280.

I have had the same cleaner for a little over 4 years now and during the off season, November through February, the cleaner stays in the pool 24/7. The other months we only put it in as necessary because the pool is used most days.

In those 4+ years I have only needed to change the tires once about a year ago.

I have had the same cleaner for a little over 4 years now and during the off season, November through February, the cleaner stays in the pool 24/7. The other months we only put it in as necessary because the pool is used most days.

In those 4+ years I have only needed to change the tires once about a year ago.

Ping, why keep the pool cleaner in during the winter months but only spotty during the season?

My wife teaches in the pool during the season so it only goes in when the pool needs to be cleaned. During the off months it is easiest to leave it in the water and run it once or twice a week as needed.

Best to leave it in the pool and let it do its job. If it's getting in the way on say a suction side cleaner, remove the cleaner and hose. It's best to lay a hose in a straight line or take it apart so it doesn't coil up. If it coils up it can take the shape and will always want to coil up in the pool. If on the suction side remember to shut any dedicated cleaner line cover or valve so someone doesn't get stuck to it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.