Winter setting on a Pentair Multivalve Model 261142

Maioui

Jan 23, 2015
Vado
My pool pump is connected and controlled by a temperature sensor that automatically turns on the pool pump if the ambient air temperature reaches 33 degrees.

The instructions for my Pentair Multiport Hi-Flow Valve only address winterizing by draining all systems and pipes, which I do not do with my temperature control system (I live in the desert southwest and we do not have to contend with freezing temperatures very often).

I backwashed and rinsed the D.E. filter before winter set in and left the valve in the "filter" position. Now I am questioning if that is the right thing to do for two reasons:

Is this the most energy efficient setting for winter (filtering the water puts more back pressure on the pump which I assume causes it to use more electricity to run, which increases my electricity bill) - what is the best setting to prevent my pipes from freezing?

I've noticed lately that the pressure inside my D.E. filter keeps climbing - now close to 35 p.s.i., even though I've backwashed the filter several times recently.

Thank you.

Welcome to TFP!

The winterized position is for draining the filter. You should be operating in filter so water runs through all of the filter to keep it thawed.

More than likely your filter needs a more thorough cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.