Question about Baking Soda

zethacat

LifeTime Supporter
In the 2009 NSPF Pool & Spa Operator Handbook it states "Sodium bicarbonate should not be used to raise pH on a regular basis. The correct method is to use sodium bicarbonate to achieve the desired total alkalinity and then if further correction is necessary, use soda ash."

I had never heard that until reading it in this book. It doesn't exactly state why as far as I can tell. Is there any truth to the statement?

EDIT: Never mind -- I misread this and thought it was referring to using baking soda to raise alkalinity, not PH. Please delete.

I would disagree with their statement. I think that targeting a specific TA is counterproductive. I have found that I can completely control pH simply by tuning the TA until the pH locks into the desired range.

Yes, I can see where it's similar. I was thinking about how some people try to set an arbitrary TA without understanding its effect on pH. I never use pH increaser, but I can see where it could be a good choice in some cases.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.