algea or scale?

Hi, I uncovered our pool and found we have this yellow/green sand-like stuff on the sides and bottom of Viking Fiberglass pool. I treated for algae and a lot settled to the bottom like 'dust'. This is not like anything I have ever seen. I can't 'brush it off. It is like scale. The stuff is on the sides---near the water line I tried to use a scotch bright pad to clean it off. It worked somewhat, but the stuff likes to be SCRAPED off! I used my finger nail, and it took it off back to the gel coat-nice. BUT I cant scrape the whole pool wityh my fingernail. It feel like our fiberglass pool is morphing into gunite! and ROUGH. SWhat is this and how do we get rid of it? I thought maybe Ascorbic Acid? Please...help me! Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

That sounds like both algae and scaling at the same time.

Could you post a complete set of water test results? With more information we should be able to give you a more specific answer.

I am sure the water is really messed up now. Last week "blue/green" was added to kill the stuff, then shock, and dry acid. and liquid chlorine. What a mess. The green fell to bottom and is cloudy when disturbed. Used a external vacuum today to try to remove the algae. The bag was filled with a yellow substance that felt like sand. (There is no sand in the pool). I have tested and get different readings everytime. SO.....unsure how to proceed. UUUUUgggghhhh. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you JasonLion for your reply, I should have said. Sorry I have been in this mess for days now and I am starting to get a bit crazy. I KNOW you are the best advice, I have been reading here for 2 days now. Thanks for your future replies. As for the test....maybe we shpu;d drain by 1/2 and refill?

I agree with Jason. It sounds like you're starting to grow scale and it has impurities - algae or copper or something - embedded in it. You want to deal with it fast, before it hardens up like concrete. It can also get really rough, like grow-your-own sandpaper, which can leave road rash on waterlogged knees and elbows. Really.

Start with test results. What test kit are you using? It's really, really, important that you have reliable test results when dealing with any kind of pool chemistry issue.

Richard320 YES! that is exactly what it feels like! We need to deal with this fast! I have a test kit that gives varied results-not good. Do I really need the $100.00 model test kit? I will get the kit you recommend, but chemistry is not my best subject :) HELP! I do not trust pool store! Here is what has been done the last week: Blue/green algaecide, then shock, add 2 gals chlorine and dry acid....as I recite, it seems like a mess. Some of the algae died and I vacuumed. Got a external vac with silt bad, vacuumed up dead algae and sand-like material (not sand). (hey, just noticed you are from San Dimas....I went to Glendora High) Thanks for all your advice and support :)

YES! that is exactly what it feels like! We need to deal with this fast! I have a test kit that gives varied results-not good. Do I really need the $100.00 model test kit? I will get the kit you recommend, but chemistry is not my best subject :) HELP! I do not trust pool store! Here is what has been done the last week: Blue/green algaecide, then shock, add 2 gals chlorine and dry acid....as I recite, it seems like a mess. Some of the algae died and I vacuumed. Got a external vac with silt bad, vacuumed up dead algae and sand-like material (not sand). (hey, just noticed you are from San Dimas....I went to Glendora High) Thanks for all your advice and support :)
The expensive test kit will save you more than you paid because you won't be buying unnecessary chemicals at the pool store. The TF100 is the recommended kit, simply because it's reliable and the quantities of reagents are realistic. The K-2006 uses the same stuff, but the bottle sizes were chosen to fit in the nifty blue box. I'd recommend the XL option now, to save shipping. And since you probably have hard water - crusty coffeemakers and showerheads are a good clue - a speedstir makes the CH test much more reliable.

You don't need to know a lot of chemistry. You just need to know your colors and be able to count. I think a bright ten year old could be trained to do pool testing with 100% accuracy.

Richard320, OK I feel better since I am older than 10, can read, LOVE color, and I can count! LOL :) YES, HARD water. O.K. TF-100 XL and speedstir to order....is there a discount code for check out?. Now I must wait for them to arrive. May I reach you here when I get all the stuff I need and do the tests? (test kit 98.29 + speedstir $39.00)

vickster50,

You will find the forum loaded with scores of knowledgeable people who will help you figure this out. Since no one can see your pool we have to depend on accurate test results. Post them as soon as you can.

Meanwhile there is almost nothing that can't be fixed so don't worry. Out methods begin and end with accurate testing and understanding why you are testing.

While you are waiting for your kit read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It'll give you a great start.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.