Adding CH turned pool green

Boudreaux

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2008
Allen, TX
I had a CH reading of 125. I added 18 pounds probably a little quicker than I should have. I also added a single bag of shock without about 15 minutes after. The water turned a translucent green about an hour later. Is this something I should be worried about? The water was pretty clear before.

Try lowering the PH by about 0.2 and see if that improves things. Also, double check your FC level and make sure FC hasn't gone to zero recently.

Is it possible that there is copper in the water? Copper typically comes from copper based algaecides and from copper heat exchange coils in heaters when the PH has been very low.

Pool turned green after adding chlorine? It's either copper which will color the water green, or if you have a blue colored pool, it could also be iron which causes a yellow color to the water that will look green against the blue background of the pool.

My PH was 7.4 when this happened but I can try to lower it to see if that has any affect. I have added the shock once before with no affect on the color of the water.

I have a white plaster pool so it doesn't sound like iron.

I was interested if it was a know affect if you add Calcium rise and shock closely together.

Thanks in advance.

Transparent green water right after adding chlorine is a known effect of having copper in the water. The calcium might have also contributed just a little, but if it is copper the calcium would not have had a significant effect. If there is enough copper to turn the water green then there is enough copper to cause some rather difficult to remove stains.

If it is copper, lowering the PH should clear up the water very quickly. Longer term you should add some sequestrant to prevent the copper from staining and figure out where the copper is coming from and make sure no more copper gets in the pool.

I had my water tested and it returned 0 copper. It did have an extremely high (over 2500) phosphate count. I will work on getting the phosphate down. I am still baffled as to the translucent green color. It has somewhat resided when I added more muriatic acid.

Like I said, if your pool has a blue finish the water might be yellow colored from iron and only look green. I would add some metal seqesterant and see if the color goes away. If it does it's a metal problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi,

Yes, if your pool is plaster, WB asked if that plaster is blue color. He meant the background color of the pool shell material.

Obi Wan, Assuming he has iron in his pool, 0.3ppm is the limit for health right ? But at what level can iron give color in water ?

Boudreaux said:
So I guess you missed my post about having white plaster.
Yep,which is why it is important to include info like that in your signature or to type it in every thread you post (it's impossibe to read and remember what is in every thread in this forum! :shock: Also, your stained white plaster thread was posted on Aug. 27 and this thread was started on Aug. 24! ), but I did see you thread about yellow to brown staining (the Aug 27 thread) which is also indicative of iron and the fact that you have a SWG and some pool salts used by builders can contain iron salts as anti caking agents (which is why I recommend solar salt).

I will try the Vitamin E table and report results.

I might have mislead lead to the color of the stain but it is brown, not any yellow.

The staining started before the salt was added so we can rule that out as the culprit.

Boudreaux said:
I will try the Vitamin E table and report results.
Vitamin C, not E
I might have mislead lead to the color of the stain but it is brown, not any yellow.
Yellow to brown is indicative of iron staining, browon staining can indicate copper (as can blue, grey and black). Vitamin C will remove iron but often turns brown copper stains grey to black
The staining started before the salt was added so we can rule that out as the culprit.
You can rule out the salt but NOT the fill water.
Try the Vitamin C and report back. If there were metals in your water and it already plated out as stain then your water WILL test negative for metals.

I assume the discoloration does not just brush off?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.