SoCal Rock Pool

bdavis466

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
Aug 4, 2014
San Clemente, CA
I have enjoyed looking at everyones pools, so I figured I should take the time to post mine. Here is the basic design I came up with...I am fortunate to be able to do my own plans and a majority of the work. I plan to do as much as possible myself.

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 2,380
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,359
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 2,341
Plumbing going in. I went with 3" lines in a looped return system for the pool. I thought long and hard about the infloor system but chose not to based on mixed reviews. I'm hoping I don't regret it.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 2,302
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 2,319
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2,304
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 2,328
Dug the footings for the fireplace and a few retaining walls. My neighbor came and helped with the pour. I finished the block work the following day

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2,311
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2,307
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,301
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 2,280
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 2,325
Rebar for all of the rock work. I am not a fan of hollow rocks, everything will be filled with broken concrete and shot over or solid shotcrete. I am guessing it will be around 100 yards. I am planning on two pumps running all day.

My wife says it looks like an airplane crashed in the backyard!

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 2,285
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 2,294
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 2,275
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2,275

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow!
Nice work man! If you dont mind me asking, how long has it taken you to get to this point?

I finished the plans in July and started digging in august. I think the shotcrete went in at the end of October. I'm not in a huge hurry since summer is so far away and I'm busy juggling other projects. I have a different full time job so this pool is a side gig to my side gig. I have more pictures coming....

That is awesome!! So unique! I don't think I've seen anything else quite like it on here! How deep does it go?

Its 6 feet at the deepest. I'm not a fan of super deep pools since that area is only good for diving. I'm not going to hang out there and tread water for hours on end. I also wanted to keep the gallonage as low as possible since the pool is so big.

I started framing the pool equipment shed. This shed has turned into an absolute nightmare with the county building department...they don't know how to classify it :hammer:
11.jpg

12.jpg

I also framed the pergola and fireplace. I'm using a natural gas insert. I was originally going to build a wood burning masonry fireplace but opted for gas for simplicity. If you want a fire, you want it now, and when you're done, you're done. The pergola is all resawn doug fir. The curves were my wife's request...I hope I never have to cut those again. They were also quite heavy:sad:
13.jpg

14.jpg

Plaster for the rock work has begun. My wife and I both like mostly grey and this is how most will look.
15.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.