Fine Brown Dust

Apr 16, 2009
I'm at a loss. I run all Pentair Equipment (clean and clear plus 320 filter, variable speed pump, IC40 SWG).

Three weeks ago the pool was flooded due to flash floods in the area. After a couple of weeks of scrubbing daily to literally get the dirt out that was washed into the pool and cleaning the filters the pool is sparkling again.

I also shocked the pool using the overnight FC test and the chemicals are all in line in fact FC is still a little high from the shock (7ppm) but it's winter so that doesn't surprise me. No CC registering.

However, I can get rid of this brown super fine dust looking stuff that settles to the bottom.

I thought it was dirt or clay but I just don't think it is after brushing it to the drain repeatedly three or four times.

I know the opinion regarding phosphates and I get that having them isn't a big deal if you keep the FC in check but could this "dust" be phosphates settling?

Pool store does say phosphates are really high but I have never paid much attention to them when they say that.

I don't think this is algae but I have never had an algae bloom (I am pretty OCD so test the chemicals a LOT) so I guess I wouldn't know.

Just tired of brushing this stuff to the main drain and seeing it reappear the very next day. Any thoughts?

Does this dust disappear when you brush it ? If it does it's dead algae. Im assuming not since you say your brushing it to the drain so it must stay visible to the eye. I would think its fine dirt then.
Is there any tears in your filter that could let dirt pass thru ?
Are you doing your own water testing or is the pool store doing it since you mentioned about the phosphate level from the pool store ? If your doing your own testing can you post a set of test results and what test kit your using. Also could you add your location to your signature. Sometimes that makes a difference on advice you will get if you have other questions.

Likely there is simply a significant amount of fine dust that got into suspension in the water and is slowly settling out over the course of several days. If you vacuum it up it should stop returning within a week.

By the by, it is not a good idea to brush debris into the main drain unless your drain is designed especially to collect debris (typically only true with in-floor cleaning systems). There is rarely enough suction to pull the debris all the way to the filter, and it will slowly accumulate in the drain system and eventually block it.

Likely there is simply a significant amount of fine dust that got into suspension in the water and is slowly settling out over the course of several days. If you vacuum it up it should stop returning within a week.

By the by, it is not a good idea to brush debris into the main drain unless your drain is designed especially to collect debris (typically only true with in-floor cleaning systems). There is rarely enough suction to pull the debris all the way to the filter, and it will slowly accumulate in the drain system and eventually block it.

Thanks. I will send full test results asap. I was thinking it was fine dust but it has been three weeks with at least every other day brushing and it's still there.

does it create an issue to brush fine dust that "poofs" and resettles into the main drain?

When you say vacuum I assume you mean vacuum to waste, right? I can't do that and my Legend vacuum bag isnt fine enough to catch this stuff. Maybe I should invest in a vacuum that hooks to the skimmer so I can vacuum to waste?

Like I said early if this dust poofs up and disappears when it's touched it's likely dead algae. If it is dead algae it will have to be vacuumed up. Is it light brown in color ?
Vacuum to waste would be the best way to remove it if your filter bag won't catch it.

Like I said early if this dust poofs up and disappears when it's touched it's likely dead algae. If it is dead algae it will have to be vacuumed up. Is it light brown in color ?
Vacuum to waste would be the best way to remove it if your filter bag won't catch it.

Yes, light brown in color. Vacuum to waste I guess means I need to get the skimmer vacuum setup right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While those numbers are fairly good, there are numerous minor adjustments I would do. Still, nothing there really suggests any clues to the brown dust.

With a SWG you normally want CYA up around 70 to 80, and TA down around 60 to 70. CH should be raised at least a little, I would raise it to at least 300 before lowering TA. FC is a little higher than you need to have it, though not problematic.

While those numbers are fairly good, there are numerous minor adjustments I would do. Still, nothing there really suggests any clues to the brown dust.

With a SWG you normally want CYA up around 70 to 80, and TA down around 60 to 70. CH should be raised at least a little, I would raise it to at least 300 before lowering TA. FC is a little higher than you need to have it, though not problematic.

Thanks. I knew the CYA needed raising but was going to shock so I figured I would leave it while I shocked it. Water is around 50 degrees right now.

Going to shock until overnight is less than one ppm drop again. if the dust still persists i will vacuum to waste and hopefully that will do it.

i will report back as to what fixes the issue.

Thank you everyone!

Not sure if this is helpful or not but has come in handy for me in the past. Is at all possible that the brown dust is coming from outside the pool? If so get a bucket and fill it with tap water from inside the house and place the bucket outside next to the pool. If you see the same brown dust collect in the bucket then you know it is coming from outside the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.