Retractable Awnings

JCJR

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2007
Miami
Anyone have any experience with retractable awnings?

I am looking for a 22' x 10' or 12' model. Our backyard faces west and we get a lot of sun from noon to 6pm but the problem is the height of my covered patio does not provide much shade when the sun is in the two o'clock position and later. The patio is 35' x 10' and the ceiling is 10' high.

Have you thought about doing an arbor type thing over that area and perhaps letting a vine typ plant grow aver it? It would provide shade in some degree but not totally close off the area. Im not sure how expensive retracting awnings are.

My experience with retractable awnings is limited to the type on RV's...tho I think a few of the companies do both types, like A & E and Carefree are two that come to mind. You get what you pay for....you want the kind that will dump the rainwater without having a puddle in the middle that can bend the main support roller. There are also types that have wind sensors that will retract automatically if it gets windy, so that's something to consider, if you plan to use it for anything other than as a sunshade. Definetly do as much research as you can ....consider other options, as they are not maintenance free, and you can get mildew problems.

We have one over our back deck. It's nice but really only provides limited shade, depending on the position of the sun. I open it part way nearly every day to shade the patio door which keeps a lot of heat out of the family room. When it's fully extended wind can be a problem, even a light breeze, but we rigged a couple of tie-downs involving small flower pots filled with Quickcrete, PVC pipe, snaps and eye bolts which do a fine job holding the awning even on a breezy day.

No problem with rain collecting because . . . well, we don't open it on a rainy day. No sun, you know? :) No problem with mildew, either, since the fabric is treated. Our awning is about 8 years old and looks like new, no wear and tear, no fading, no mechanical failures.

The former owner of my house had awnings in a couple of places. One was in bad shape, so I replaced it with this: http://www.thenaturalhome.com/shadecloth.htm

The other awning is OK but when it dies I'll replace it with the shade cloth also. I have black 80%; next time I'll order black 90%. I got it for a few inches smaller than the existing frame and just laced it up on the existing frame. It has gromments every 12" and it looks great. The former owner had an awning company install and remove the awnings every year; the awning company has terrible service and they power wash the awnings (so they don't last very long!). I got rid of them quickly.

I had a similar product at my previous house but a different manufacturer, Hendee Enterprises. That one was heavier and looked new after 5 years of use. It was only about 10' x 12', green 80%. I had it made with pockets in 2 opposing sides and put an aluminum rod in each pocket, then threaded the rods into eye-bolts mounted on one roof and hooks on the opposite side (deck wall).

Regular awnings last about 5-8 years, but in the North East, you leave them out for half the year in all sorts of weather. A friend has a retractable and likes it but said that it was very expensive, $3k or so if I remember. She said that if she'd known about the product I used, she would have done that. Mine cost under $125.

Sue

Thanks for all of the responses.

I thought about doing an arbor but not enough shade, if I go the vine route it would be almost over the pool and I do not want plants over the pool.

Shorelover Is that a fixed awning? I need about a 10ft projection (length of the awning).

My current house has an aluminum frame that is permanent (fixed) above the deck that has a southern exposure. I put the sunscreen on this spring and plan to remove it next month; I like the sun during the rest of the year. I laced it using twine but also used a few cable ties; took less than an hour and cost around $100 (an awning would cost many times that and I'd have to deal with an awning company that wouldn't show up when they're supposed to [I've heard nothing but bad about the local awning companies and my one experience was bad]). It arrived less than a week after I ordered it.

At my previous house, I had a 6' deck wall (also southern exposure). The sunscreen went from that wall up to the edge of the roof. I think it was 10' or 12'. I left it up from about May until mid-September.

I guess that you could leave them up all year long since you don't get much snow. They recommend parachute cord that you can get from an Army/Navy surplus store. Rain of course goes through them, so there's no ponding like there is on the regular awning. You could of course install it over an arbor. It could either be laced on through the grommets like my current application, or you could do it the way I had it at the previous house (have pockets made on opposing sides when you order it that go the full length, then run an aluminum rod through and attach using eyebolts and / or big hooks). There's a picture of one stretched on a pergola on the link I provided above (towards the bottom of the page).

Just noticed your location -- go to any garden store / plant grower and you'll see these sunscreens used. That's how I got the idea at my previous house -- I was at a garden store and looked at the manufacturer of their shade (Hendee) and ordered one.

Sue

Just got it this summer. With winds I don't extend it all the way. They sell "breeze poles " but they want to much money for them. I am going to make my own. These awnings are rated for winds up to 35 mph. My awning is a 14 by 12. Spend the money and get a motorized model. It comes with a remote and is well worth it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check out Sunsetter Awnings. My pool and back of house also gets western afternoon sun. We got one from them about 2 or 3 years ago. 18 wide X 10 out from house. Hand cranked. I only roll it up for tropical storms and hurricanes. I installed it myself with small amount of help from my wife. We also got the 'hang-down' screen to help block the intense afternoon sun.

I have the Sunsetter also, but it has a motor and a remote control. So we can control it from inside the house. My back yard also faces west and the afternoon/evening it gets very hot. I bought mine at Costco about 5 years ago.

When I installed it, I installed it into the bricks on the home. After about a year it started pulling the bricks out of the wall! These are the "soldier" bricks that lined the top of the wall. I took it down, and moved it up a foot to the wood siding, fastened it into the studs and have had no issues with it since.

dave

I have been doing research and have narrowed it down to two models.
Awntech - has larger sizes that I need (ranging from $1600 20X12 or $2000 for a 24x12) and the fabric is acrylic which they say is better (Sunbrella is acrylic)
Sunsetter- Costco has a 30% off sale, a 18X10 is $1100 shipping included. The fabric is vinyl, shich some same it can get mold and mildew. Sunsetter also has customer complaints about their service and support, not the product.

I would like the Awntech but Costco's sale is hard to pass up. Has anyone had issues with the Sunsetter brand?

I have the Sunsetter 18x10 hand cranked model. I had a gear strip out, but they replaced it no-charge with one toll-free phone call. The person on the phone at Sunsetter did acknowledge that it was a known problem. Other than that, no problems at all. As I said before, mine stays down for use, and I roll it up for tropical storms and hurricanes.

I too have had a manual crank sunsetter for the past two years. Installed it my self with a little help
from the wife. They have accessories to control for high winds and bugs.low sun etc.
I also ordered the lighting kit which came poorly packed and some of the ceramic sockets were
broken, They sent a whole new set out no questions asked and didn't want the old ones back. :shock:
I fixed them easily and now I have two sets :mrgreen:
We love it. Its like having a whole new room outdoors.

jb :monkey:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.