Best sanitizer system to use for a hot tub?

Re: How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?

Welcome to the forum Batty :wave:

Tell us more about the spa. Is it indoor, outdoor attached to a pool, standalone ??
Would be helpful if you added your location to your profile so it pops up under your user name and also the spa's (and pool) info in your signature as outlined here - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

Please be sure to tell us if you have an ozonator. That makes a difference in deciding between chlorine and bromine. Also please tell us whether the 6-8 hours per week is all on the weekends or if you plan to use the spa every day or two (I'm guessing it's spread out over the week given the number of hours). Also tell us the size of the spa in gallons and how many people will be using it.

Hey guys, great to be here! It's a 400 gallon outdoor standalone spa, with an ozonator. The 6-8 hours a week is from using it every day or two. Generally only used by 3, but occasionally 5-7 if having a party, etc. I wasn't informed enough about the water chemistry maintenance when I got it and currently use Natural Spa by Clarity Water, an enzyme based system, which I know now from reading a bunch of forum posts, is not very effective. I am looking to switch to either a bromine or chlorine system soon. Based on my usage, what would you suggest I do? One thing I did read was that chlorine requires more maintenance which isn't a problem for frequent users but then in the summer I am thinking I won't use the tub as often. Would I then need to switch to a less frequent sanitation system? Perhaps getting a little ahead of myself. Thanks in advance for your input!

I think you'll have the best results and get the longest time between water changes if you use the Dichlor-then-bleach method described in the Pool School article Using Chlorine in a Spa. Though the ozone will deplete chlorine in between soaks, it will also oxidize some of the bather load so with your use you will likely use less chlorine. Since you can add it every day or two after every soak, I think this should work for you.

In the summer you would switch over to a bromine system by adding sodium bromide to the water. The ozonator would then create bromine from the bromide and you should not need to dose the spa if you tune things properly (i.e. ozonator on-time and sodium bromide level). When you want to use the tub a lot again, then you'd change the water and switch back to the Dichlor-then-bleach method (note that you can go from chlorine to bromine without changing the water, but to go the other way around requires a water change).

Note that if your spa is new then I recommend you clean out any greases/oils and possible biofilm by using Ahh-Some and then change the water. If you don't do that, then your water won't last very long before your first water change.

Yes, or at least every other day if it lasts that long (it should, unless you have an ozonator). That's the main downside with using chlorine in a spa and is one reason some people use bromine since one can have bromine tablets in a floating feeder (one can't use Trichlor in a spa in this way since it dissolves too quickly in hot water and it's low pH tends to throw off pH and TA balance more readily in the small water volume unless one is careful).

So using bromine is the way to go, if your priority is least maintenance required? With bromine you simply: balance the water, add sodium bromide, shock with MPS and then "turn on the ozone". Question about this, on my hot tub I can set the filter cycles that are 12 hours each, at settings where the filter runs for either 2,4,6,8, or all 12 of the hours of the cycle (continuous filtration). Is this what the instructions refer to when they say turn on the ozone? Then, add the floater with bromine tablets (3 step cycle seems to be less maintenance, correct me if I'm wrong) and simply shock once a week. Maintain a bromine level of 4-6 ppm and that's it, in addition to regular balancing? Sounds quite simple, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Bromine is not so much for least maintenance, but for when you aren't using the spa frequently. If you are using the spa every day or two, then adding chlorine after each soak is no big deal. Chlorine is a more effective oxidizer than bromine so the water stays in the best shape using it.

Yes, the ozone should be on when the filter cycle is on since that is when the circulation pump and ozonator should be on.

As I wrote initially, I think you will be better off using the Dichlor-then-bleach method when you are using the spa frequently, not only because it will keep the water clear for longer but it's also better when the bather load goes up for a party. Chlorine oxidizes bather waste faster and more completely than chlorine. When you are using the spa less frequently, you can switch to using the 3-step bromine system -- sodium bromide, bromine tabs in a floater, and an oxidizer such as chlorine after bather load that is beyond what the bromine level from the floater can handle.

Note that bromine and bromamines smell different than chlorine and chloramines. Some people prefer one over the other (and when using chlorine you should only have chloramines when dosing after the soak when you are not around to smell them).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.